Saturday, October 02, 2010

Characters #2



Travel provides the opportunity to see common things in a new light. When in unfamiliar territory, people-watching becomes an opportunity in character development and a dedicated pastime for me.  I have a few stories from my recent exploration of Western Canada, but first one last anecdote from my August trip to Baltimore, which happened on a terribly hot, hellish weekend.  We spent as much time as we could being outside walking the city, but by mid-afternoon we sought the shelter of an air-conditioned store and ended up spending money on iced drinks regardless of our carefully pre-agreed upon budget.

We had drifted down to the historic Fell's Point.  The Internet states that Fell's point has "The unique to the unusual...the conservative to the wild." Fell's Point was named after a Quaker in the 1760s which might be the reason for its extreme nature.  It certainly is an interesting part of Baltimore. I became familiar with Fell's point many years ago when visiting an indoor aquaculture facility.  My visit was to a project showing that you could grow fish in the heart of the city.   This particular weekend the air was oppressive and we decided that the hole-in-the-wall coffee shop we were passing was the best place to collapse for a while.  (No Starbucks for us!)



This shop was very small and L-shaped...a long narrow L with tables along one wall and the checkout counter and pastries and teas and coffees on the other wall.  At the base of the L were two more tables and chairs, a couch, a small corner with children's toys, and a shelf of used books and magazines.  There was a man drinking an iced drink at a table near the door where we entered.  On the sofa at the far end of the hall past most of the tables were three men passing around a guitar and playing music. One of them was very good and played and sang a familiar country tune and we listened as we let our sweat dry.


There was a nice looking dark haired man about 35 behind the counter and he was talking to a 20-something gal with a brown pony tale leaning at the edge of the counter when we walked in.  They both broke off their conversation and the young woman asked what we wanted.  We both ordered an iced chai, and my husband being the gregarious soul started up a conversation about the heat.  The man agreed how unbearable the summer had been while he fixed the tea and the gal took our money.  When I mentioned we were tourists  and wondered about the water taxis, the gal, who was quite talkative and charming, took my arm and directed me to a small brochure rack behind the door.  She was clearly knowledgeable about Baltimore as she passed various brochures my way.


While we waited for our drinks she indicated that the heat was really hard for her as she lived in a third-story apartment...with no air-conditioning!  I felt so sorry for her and my mind drifted to how working in a coffee shop must pay very little.  She said she spent most of her time trying to keep cool with a fan.


We took a nearby table and perused the water-taxi schedule and the various stops while we sipped our tea.  My back was to the door, but I could see that hubby was intrigued watching the girl and guy.  The door opened a few times more and other customers completed orders.  The guy with the guitar walked by on his way out and apologized to us for singing so loud.  We loved his music, so were surprised at this.


Then the store got quiet.  The gal was outside on the sidewalk talking to someone.  I could not hear the conversation between the man who had been sitting at the table drinking when we entered and the guy behind the counter.  But hubby was intently watching them and interpreted this for me later.


The man at the table:  "Who is she?"


The clerk:  "Hell if I know.  Maybe she is doing her laundry across the street."


The man:  "  You don't know her?  She is in here every weekend."


The clerk:  "I know...don't have a clue!"

The gal came back into the store and rearranged some of the things on the counter, collected plates from a table and moved them to the counter, and then headed to the bathroom chattering with the man behind the counter most of the time.



My husband and I just smiled and shook our heads.  Pehaps this was her way of being able to stay cool on a Sunday and avoid the lack of AC in her apartment.  She was smart and brave and opportunistic.  (My next post will be about Canada...I promise.)

15 comments:

  1. Good for her, sounds like she'll do just fine.
    I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who will chat up a stranger.
    Oh, you were in Vancouver BC I was in Vancouver, WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. strange indeed. at first it sounded like you were describing a waitress who worked in the coffee shop.

    I adore people watching; don't like people all that much in the plural but individuals I can spend hours sussing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting story, Tabor. I really love the way you told a story. You write very well!

    Thanks for your visiting on my blog. I would like to see personally the steel trees in Calgary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to people watch. Like your story!! Glad you are home and once again sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like her style already. The way you described the scene, I felt like I was right there alongside you.

    You really need to write more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Carmi said. She sounds like an enterprising soul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story!! I thought she was the waitress as well!!!
    I just love people watching!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey!

    I think it's awesome how it feels like I'm reading a book because of the way you describe things. It's a good thing, gets me more interested in the next paragraphs.

    People watching is a great pasttime for me. But it turns into a cynic fest when I'm with my friends. But when I'm alone or just bored to the person I'm with, I do people watching. I love people is probably an understatement.

    Keep the stories coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great! I guess this is how she keeps cool and she probably feels like she has to do something to justify the amount of time she spends in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for her. She'll never be in want of company.. and probably a job. She sounds like a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! That is absolutely marvelous. What a great way to beat the heat, with charm and ingenuity.

    Although points need to be given to the people who ran the place for allowing her adopt them, and their climate controlled surroundings.

    My husband can wax lyrical about the quality of the crab cakes he encounters when he travels to Baltimore on business, but I'm afraid David Simon's The Wire permanently dented my vision of the place.

    I know it's actually a lovely area, I've been there, but never has a TV series done less for tourism. The Wire made poor Baltimore look like a sewer, perched atop a cesspool, in the back alley of a crack den fueled by corruption and vice.

    Luckily, for Baltimore, not that many people saw The Wire.

    Great photos, and a really fun story, Tabor. There's nothing quite like the humidity in those areas. At times like those wouldn't it be handy to actually know who invented air conditioning? Whoever it was, I hope they know bliss eternal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A little snippit out of time. Lovely. Thanks. Thanks too for the notes. I've really appreciated them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful story, Tabor, and I thought the girl was a waitress for most of it. Good for the gal, finding a way to stay cool in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It does sound like they are getting some free labor out of that young lady, but now that the weather has turned more reasonable she probably isn't quite as helpful. This probably would not have happened at a Starbucks. Maybe they even hired her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You brought me right into the scene but still I'm confused. Did she work there or was she just acting like she did? I guess that's the point. It's a mystery!

    How was the water taxi? Canada!?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.