Thursday, August 12, 2010

Baltimore, Life in the City

In mid-August my husband and I reached the 40-year mark.  It is a big deal that two people can live together that long without losing themselves in each other, or killing each other, or pretending to live together while not really.   So we take our accolades with salted chocolate and admit luck has a significant part to play in the duration of any marriage and the breakdown of a marriage does not necessarily reflect any more immaturity than we all harbor.  We didn't want to spend a lot of money flying somewhere as Hubby had a trip coming up, so we drove north to Baltimore for the weekend.


Baltimore is a changing city.  I used to drive up there for meetings when I was working and had to make sure I got parking passes for the John Hopkins campus before heading out, because if you parked anywhere outside the campus area, it was really creepy and probably dangerous.  Like New York, you can make one wrong turn and feel very unsafe.


But I will have to admit that the last decade has been kind to Baltimore.  The harbor area has been re-vitalized with lots of high-end restaurants, fun museums, and tourist activities.  There are also inexpensive activities for families to enjoy.  We stayed in one of those expensive waterfront hotels and got nice morning and evening views across the harbor.




The bright light in the center below is the stadium where the Orioles game was being played.






This city has drama and intrigue and both "The Wire" and "Homicide: Life in the City" were filmed here reflecting the grittier side of this town.   I think Baltimore is a 'little' like New Orleans or Venice in that there are some very artistic and passionate citizens that keep the city interesting in spite of the crime and poverty that lies just beneath the surface.  The building below is where "Homicide" was filmed.





While there was much lovely restored and new architecture along the greatly improved waterfront, one did not have to walk too far before you could see the painful transitions that are still ongoing.




We ate at my one of my favorite high-end restaurant chains, Roy's. While those Roy's in Hawaii are the best, they do try to keep that Asian fusion thing going across the continent.  Italian wine, spicy edamame appetizers, a crisp Asian spinach salad, tiger shrimp on jalapeno risotto and roasted veggies followed by a wonderful creme brulee.  It may sound too eclectic, but actually it was very good, and the restaurant was only a block's walk from the hotel, so the high 90 degree temperature did not ruin the weekend.  (This was also the same weekend when I saw the art film I Am Love and one of reasons we are still married is that hubby sat through the whole thing and actually stayed awake enough to help forward the after-conversation!)


21 comments:

  1. Roy's sounds great, and it looks like you took full advantage of your city retreat. Congratulations on your 40th! Yeah, luck is part of it, but so is learning how to give-and-take, maintaining a sense of humor, and being very patient.

    I love the train museum in Baltimore, and the aquarium, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I know of Baltimore is what I learned from those two cop shows you mentioned, both of them seriously good, I think.
    So my idea is probably not very realistic.

    Happy anniversary, here's to the next 40.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Forty years is quite an accomplishment. Looks like a lovely get-away anniversary weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your hubby is 'one of a kind' Tabor.... Being happy together after 40 years is significant.... My parents were married for almost 50 years ---and I truly don't know how much love was between them...

    My first marriage failed.... We got married too young and never worked at the marriage... I think that happens to alot of people. They get busy, have babies, and don't work on the marriage....

    Congrats... Looks like you all had a great little trip to Baltimore... I used to watch Homicide every week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never watched or even heard of either of the two shows you mentioned, and never been to Baltimore.

    I also (grin) have never been married so I admire your tenure. My sister did have her 40th a couple of years back. That is quite an accomplishment! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!! You should feel proud! 40 years is nothing to sneeze at!!
    I have never been to Baltimore so seeing the pics was a real treat!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations...40 years...WOW. The trip sounds like a good time, and whatever it cost--a husband who stayed awake through the movie--priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you both many more loving years together. Thanks for the tour of Baltimore. It's not a place I know anything about except for a little history, est. 1729 I think, much older than cities in the Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:36 PM

    My husband was born there, but we haven't been back to see the city since it has been cleaned up. Sounds like you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the wonderful tour and sharing your menue with me. I am not familar with Baltimore.
    Congratulations on the 40th. I made it to 22 years. I use to look back sadly and now I look back with a smile on my face for the wonderful children and grandchildren that union created.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Happy 40th!

    We used to live in Columbia, MD... just down the road a bit from Baltimore and always loved visiting the Harbor. Great restaurants and shopping there and it makes you feel so alive at the water's edge.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  12. RYN: Yup, and we have been encouraged to pick up Roxio at Fryes this evening. It will make the slideshow and transfer it to a DVD or CD to play on the TV. I will let you know how it goes. My friend made a slideshow of desert flowers and she had no problem at all, so I imagine I can do it too. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely few moments with you in Baltimore. Thank you. I'm just sitting here smiling away thinking of the city revitalizing around you, thinking of Roys...which we last enjoyed in San Francisco. Congratulation both of you on 40 wonderful years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATULATIONS! On the duration of a long relationship, with all that comes with it. On a lovely get-away and a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Back in the dark ages of the early 1960's, I obtained a job at Johns Hopkins but opted to take one elsewhere. My mom was glad, because even back then Baltimore had a bad reputation. I have never been there, except to drive through or nearby on my way to NYC.

    Congratulations on reaching 40 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am such a fan of THE WIRE that is first in my mind when I hear "Baltimore".

    Your post brought a very appealing aspect to visiting there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your anniversary. Only ten more years to go until the golden one. With your attitude and your nice husband I know you will make it.

    I have never been to Baltimore. In fact, I have never been in Maryland. I guess I never will now, but I envy you the nice time,

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely travelogue and photos. Congrats and Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tabor, Congratulations on your anniversary! You're much too modest, as always - Making it to 40 years takes a little luck, but a LOT of work - on both parties.

    Thank you so much for sharing your visit to Baltimore. It was so interesting to see and read about it. Your photos are always so fun to look at. :)

    I wish you many, many more years of happiness my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Double congratulations: for making it; and for making it in the style you would have wished.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.