Friday, June 04, 2010

Owning a Pot to **** In


A few weeks ago my husband discovered that I had accidentally purchased not one but two bags of lemons. There they sat in the fruit bin in their abundance of lemonness waiting for iced tea or fresh fish, or perhaps a guacamole.  Hubby became worried that we would forget them or ignore them and he was suddenly motivated.  He would make a lemon cream pie!


I realized that he has NEVER made a lemon cream pie and his baking skills while reasonably adept are not expert.  As he read the various recipes he realized he needed a double boiler.  This is a cooking tool he has never used.  He asked if we had one.


I have not used a double boiler in a long time and when we made the final move to this house I am afraid I got rid of any Rube Goldberg pots that would have worked as double boilers.

Now that we are retired we frequently strike when the iron is hot (to use a totally unrelated idiomatic expression).  So, we went in search of a double boiler.  We shopped at all our local venues...K-mart, Target, Wal-Mart, and Sears...none had double boilers.  No surprise as very few people even cook anymore much less cook slow food where you actually have to stand at the stove stirring for more than 5 minutes.

The next day we drove up north to the larger shopping areas looking for that over-priced but super inventoried store called Williams Sonoma.  With a name like that you almost feel as if you have to bring out the white gloves and tea hat before you peruse the shelves.  I walked in, and to avoid any dangerous perusing, went straight to a young clerk and told her I wanted the most inexpensive double boiler they had in stock.



She looked at me with wide-eyes.  "We just got them in!"


Who knew?  I had just told my husband that no one used double boilers anymore.  No one cooked slow.  She took me to the shelves that had the pot that you see in the above photo.



While it had a French brand on the label claiming that had been around for about 100 years, a more careful reading of the box revealed that it was made in China.  What isn't these days?  It was not a double pot but a single pot with an outside envelope into which you put water.  What fun!  I think.  It was much cheaper than anything hubby had found online so we took the plunge.


By the time we got back from our long drive in the late afternoon we were too tired to use it.  The next day we cooked fish and made some lemonade.  It is weeks later and we STILL have not used it!  Geesh!  Eventually I will have to see if it works.

22 comments:

  1. That is SO funny! I've done that...get so obsessed with an idea or item, spend precious brain cells deliberating, then end up with an anticlimactic result.

    I want to say something about the ****, but I won't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee! Two weekends ago I finally gave away French made wok that I spent a fortune on over 25 years ago. It was designed for a gas stove but rarely used. The year after I bought it, we moved and have never had a gas range again. Still I lugged it from house to house to house. You've made me feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I might have to buy one of those! I make Welsh Rarebit from time to time, and I need a double boiler for that. I have a makeshift one - a stainless "cone" with a handle, that I balance over a pot of boiling water. It's okay with a large pot, but unstable in a smaller one.

    And lemons are too expensive right now to buy two bags and not use!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have called. I have not one but two double boilers in my possession :)

    Funny how things go out of fashion and come back in looking like something else entirely. I'd never have taken that pot in the photo for a double boiler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I laugh. I have a standard one that arrived as part of a set from Costco. I think. LOL

    I gave up with the lemons. Mine got juiced and frozen in icecube trays. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughing here!!! That sounds so much like stuff I have purchased!! So much for great ideas!! I think the hunt is all the fun and takes the wind out of the sails.
    Lemon cream pie sure does sound yummy though!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:26 AM

    I am still wishing I had grabbed my mom's old one when she downsized into an apartment. Now, if I need one, I have to put one of my Farber pots inside a larger one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story. Who knew that a double boiler would be so hard to find. I actually would like to have one also. I think I'll shop on-line. I like that you showed us a photo of the (imposter) double boiler.

    Your story reminds me of something similar that happened in my household. Hubby wanted an egg ring so I went in search of one to all the major stores....Kmart, Walmart, Target, etc. I finally found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I was just about ready to give up when the clerk came and asked if I needed any help. As soon as I described what I was looking for she knew right where it was at. That was a couple of months ago and I think hubby has used it once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My double boiler is a Revere Ware about 45 years old. Use it several times a year.
    Your new pot - sure does not look like an old fashion double boiler.
    The lemon cream pie sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sent me on a search for my double boiler, long ago given to me by my mother. Mine is glass, and I haven't used it for such a long time. Maybe I'll just have to make a lemon pie of my own, now that I've found it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one handsome pot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now let's see that pie! And the story will be complete. I've never used a double boiler in my life and never understood before what they were for. I do use a steamer for my vegetables so they won't get soggy and lose nutrients cooking in water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny, but I'd be holding him to that lemon creme pie even if I had to buy more lemons to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Re your comment: what was new to you, Tabor?

    ReplyDelete
  15. For us that search would simply be a reason for an outing. We cannot bring ourselves to simply get in the car and drive around and waste gas, so a search for a double broiler would totally justify running around all over the countryside. Let us know if he ever makes the pie. My money is on never. LOLpretion

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would LOVE to read a post about Egypt! I guess I don't mention that often, although I know I have mentioned it before - a long while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I already have my own double boiler (which I almost never use) and my mother's (ditto). But I immediately felt I wanted to have one of those fancy pots when I read your post. Who knows, I might make hollandaise!

    ReplyDelete
  18. RYN: Not all ten feet deep...the area behind that diving platform is shallow. It's perhaps 10x15, at a guess. I apologize for not wrtng a bit clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How about a photo of the "Elusive Lemon Cream Pie" whenever it gets made...

    ReplyDelete
  20. One Woman's Journey said...
    "My double boiler is a Revere Ware about 45 years old"

    I had completely forgotten that I once had a Revere Ware double boiler. I still have the boiler but not the insert. I suppose that part got lost after a house fire and two moves.

    I do have a small double boiler that came with a chocolate set that my then 7 year old grand daughter conned me into ordering after seeing the ad on TV. We used it once, too much trouble and messy pouring the melted chocolate into the decorative molds that came with the set

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Wow.. it does look and sound very neat. I must admit to being one of those that rarely cooks.. more related to lack of skill than anything else. But I must admit to being intrigued. Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been married 45 years and have done alot of cooking but I have been able to avoid owning a double boiler (and I never got a pressure cooker either -- I heard they sometimes blow up, so decided one wasn't for me!). But this new take on a double boiler intrigues me. I may have to go to Williams Sonoma and get one!

    We are retired too, so have plenty of time to do this kind of shopping/experimenting. Isn't retirement great!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.