Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Virtual World

I wrote this post a week or so before I started reading Danah Boyd's PhD dissertation titled Taken Out of Context:  American Teen Society in Networked Publics.  (I am not really as geeky as this sounds but a friend of my son's linked to this on FB...AND I have not made it through all the the 390 pages and perhaps may never make it to the middle even as I am also in the middle of a Hemingway book and a book of poetry, but some of the  ideas discussed seems to go with this post...so I do add some of it here.)


I have become established on Facebook (FB) in spite of my initial resistance and the fact that the person who originally asked me to join, and whom I befriended, almost immediately left this virtual space and disappeared because of issues with their family!   I am still struggling to understand why those who have hundreds of friends rarely post, and I, of course, have so few friends and post fairly often, and that has become a bit of an embarrassment.  This insecurity is all mine, because no one really cares how many 'friends' I have or clearly how often I post, and sadly, no one really cares what I have to say when I do post!  I disagree with the following conclusion:  "people are no longer shaped just by their dwellings but by their networks (Mitchell 1995: 49)."   Young people perhaps, but not those of us who are old hermits.  We don't care.  I hope I am not being shaped by my 'virtual' networks.  My real networks exist because of who I am...I don't think I am being shaped greatly by them.


(Yet this is perhaps why I find blogging more enjoyable, because of the greater interaction and shaping of thought.)


The interesting aspect of this virtual community (FB) that I have joined is I have found old, old friends that I knew decades ago and had lost contact with over time.  Sometimes these friendships are renewed with energy but most times we no longer have that much in common and this technology doesn't really make it easy to tell our tales and share our commonalities.  It is not exactly like meeting up at the local bar or coffee shop where alcohol or caffeine stimulate reduction in inhibitions and eye contact opens the conversation...something I would do more often if the few friends I have lived anywhere near me!  The exchanges that take place on FB are pretty much superficial.  We congratulate each other on posted accomplishments or send condolences when life is not perking along too well or the younger members post embarrassing pictures from last night's party.  Members also post the results of various virtual games that they play or their daily horoscope or other time-sinks that I have absolute no interest in.


Everything seems to take place in 160 characters or less.  It is a Gen-X world and not at all reflective of  the Jane Austin school of correspondence.  I would call it the IM update school of self-indulgence.  It gives everyone a chance to be a brief stand-out comedian or to rally support for a cause.  One wonders what innocuous post will come back to haunt the poster in decades to come?  Those love affairs that are so pookie cute and then long since dissolved?  Remarks on recent job changes that seemed so innocent at the time?  I am at a stage in my life where anything I say would be miraculous if it actually made an impact on the rest of my life.  But these profiles for the younger generation do continually evolve as its users evolve.. (Danah Michelle Boyd Taken Out of Context  --"Kranzberg’s First Law: “Technology is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral”  (Kranzberg 1986: 454-548). A technology’s value is shaped by its social construction—how designers create it and how people use it, interpret it, and reconfigure it. It is not an outcome of the technology alone or its potential.)


I do post photos and it seems that the historic scanning has put me in touch with friends of my children as they remember the 'good old days.'  Their lives are so busy that they rarely look back and I think that my photos help them put some perspective on their journey(s) forward.  They see themselves in that ancient innocent and enthusiastic period of their lives before responsibilities cluttered their peace.  At least, I like to think that may be true.


But,  as I have often heard and firmly believe, do not put anything on the Internet that you would not want to read the following day on the front pages of a major newspaper.


What do you think of the FB and are you on?



16 comments:

  1. I am on FB, but I don't know why. I never go there unless someone sends me a comment. I have enough trouble keeping up with the blogs I read and just don't have time for another venue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twin City Joan11:43 AM

    I am on facebook under my real name. I rarely post, but I check it a couple of times a day. Mostly it is to keep some connection to old friends and acquaintances from where I used to work. Also to keep up with my children and grandchildren as they aren't always as communicative as I would like. Occasionally I will comment on something or send a message to someone. I joined a couple of causes as they are important to me and it is an easy way to let other people know that. If it went away, I would not be devastated, but it is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I am not. I have hardly any close friends in the real world and I am not sure that I want 'friends' in the virtual world other than those with whom I am in contact in blogland. I like the idea of anonymity, detachment, although I have begun to meet other bloggers and to post rather more intimate posts. I sincerely hope I will not regret them one day. FB would be even more superficial than blogging; besides, there is little enough spare time.

    It's all just a bit silly and I am secretly also a bit embarrassed by it all. I have no friends who blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on Facebook but seldom check it anymore. I organized my husband's family into a group on it but we're all rather tired of it now. The only reason I don't drop it completely is I have the email address of the group that I use to send email messages when there's important family news. I could transfer those addresses to my regular email but so far I haven't. I much prefer blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love facebook....and would love to be your friend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you can find me there as Mage Bailey.....now I had to check. I post a couple of times a week. All those grandkids of mine now post far less frequently than I do.

    The artist wore black on black. I asked her then wore black on black with a furry sweater. I saw everything but the kitchen sink there....with G the only coat.

    The wall of small paintings is made up of a family tree. Birds alive and dead represent those in her family and how she feels about them. :) I love the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am on FB on I love it. I post regularly and I am addicted to Farmville. I've met up with some old friends from high school too.

    I agree that it is a superficial connection but somehow even this superficiality seems to connect us to a broader world. At least we can be connected from a distance whereas without FB or social networks we wouldn't even have that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am on FB and I post about once a day. My grandkids are on that is why I joined. A way to further keep in touch!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. I'm on. I was not impressed at first.

    I log on now to see the pictures and read about what my nieces and nephews are up to. I comment when I read or see something I like.

    I do not play any games. I HIDE game posts and a few friends (mostly relatives of friends) who asked me to join but I don't know them all that well or care what they post.

    I do not know anybody that Twitters. And, I wonder what is next...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on fb, check is a couple of times a day since I have some very communicative friends there. I live way out in the country and it is a good connection with my local community; it gives me more insight into the lives of people I see occasionally. I like the discussions; perhaps it helps that many of my friends are artists of some sort. I hide all games and other aps. I like the discussions, pictures, videos, articles that people post, though I don't read them all. I enjoy people's blogs because they are usually longer, more inclusive posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm also on facebook but normally forget I'm even there. It's just to superficial for me and I totally agree with your post today.

    Love the new header picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I signed up several years ago but didn't use it until this past year. Like you, it has energized some old relationships, mostly cousins, and has energized many in the Floyd community because we can send things around and chat without traveling rural miles. Many use it to promote their art, music, business, and activism. I have probably increased my blog readership because of it. I post something most days, a link, a video, a sentence, and have gotten into some deeper conversations. One quip I posted about the Tea Party brought over 60 comments and went on for several weeks. I wonder about all those friends, some I barely know, and some who ask to me to friend them who I don't have a clue who they are.

    On my recent 13 Thursday blog post, I posted something I said to a blog friend new to Facebook: If blogs are the headline stories, than FB is the classifieds.

    I like blogs more but count Facebook as an offshoot of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not have time!! Just keeping up with blogs I read, writing my journal, reading, gardening, family, creating in my woods, and taking care of home and personal needs - that is all I have time for.
    If someone wants to find me - I would not be hard to locate....
    At this time of life I am trying to simplify. My children and grandchildren are on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm on FB but rarely spend time there. I joined because I wanted to see some of the pages my sister kept sending me to about life in our old neighbourhood. I dislike the invasive nature of the place and have never actually posted there, and have only left a handful of comments on others' posts. I'm much more comfortable in the blog neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Something has kept me from FB...maybe the fear of putting a number next to the word friends - like stepping on the scale of life in public.. maybe resistance to revisiting old wounds and the living wounded? not there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. FB is definitely lighter and more superficial (although some folks choose to get deep or dramatic). I believe people are more real on Blogger...even without all the family photos and all the personal info you see on FB, you learn more about them through their thoughts/words and the interaction in comments. FB could never replace Blogger...not for me, anyway.

    Great post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.