Monday, March 22, 2010

I Should Be Relieved


I should be happy and relieved today since millions of Americans will soon be able to get the same or similar health care to mine.  Americans today who get a tragic chronic illness can feel more hopeful about getting the care they need.



But I am depressed.  I saw too much ignorance and ugliness in the debate leading up to this bill.  I saw a video of a small man in a wheel chair with Parkinson's carrying a sign in support of the bill and being surrounded and yelled at by 6-10 white men who told him to go out and get a job!  They threw money at him as if he was some beggar rather than a citizen with a right to an opinion and a right to give that opinion.  He was very brave sitting their with these ugly souls towering over him.


I drove out of the city on Saturday and was delayed by a long cadre of police motorcycles and cars going into the city and learned later that it was because of anti-health care bill protesters angrily surrounding several black Congressmen calling them racial names and spitting on them.  They also shouted homophobic epithets to Rep. Barney Frank the next day.  Who are these dangerous people?


Some Tea Party protesters carried signs saying that if the bill passed they would incite violence.  My sister who is an attorney said last year that her Republican legal colleagues have actually purchased guns to be prepared...for what I do not know.  Where are their critical thinking skills?


This was not a bill about sending our men and women to war.  This was not a bill about rescinding the constitution.  This was a bill about caring for our citizens who through no fault of their own need a hand.  These are not welfare junkies but people who have lost jobs or lost fights with the death panels of the insurance agencies.  We need to stand by them.  This is about the numerous hospitals that are closing their doors because they can not continue to provide health care for those who have no insurance and still balance their books. 


Conservative Congressmen were far from conservative in their rhetoric.  There were far from statesmanlike in their incitement of the part of the  crowd that was protesting the bill.  The difference between a democracy and other forms of government is that you have the right make your argument peacefully and without threat of violence.


OK, I am done.  I do not like writing like this  because this is not what my blog is about and because I cannot change the minds of others.  But I am glad I got it off MY chest.




16 comments:

  1. Tabor, it was a sobering and difficult spectacle, wasn't it?

    I think you likely already know that I fully support Health Care Reform, and wish that something with a public option had been passed. I keep encountering people, tradespeople, who work harder than I ever have in my life, and have a collection of maladies they simply try to live with, because currently, they have no access to health care. It's obscene.

    There's been a lot of downright hysterical hyperbole in the conservative media in particular.

    The media has been grossly irresponsible in this long debate, particularly on the conservative side, trying to whip people into frenzied fear, and a mob mentality.

    Like you, I should be relieved, and I am on many levels, but the irresponsibility of the reporting media may have done long term damage.

    It's very worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, as always.

    I'm not an American, so it seems wrong to criticise the US, but the lack of universal healthcare in such a rich country is something that (almost) makes me angry.

    I'll predict, though, that in 5 years everyone will wonder what the fuss was about. I won't predict how long it will be before there is universal healthcare, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I am basking in the glow of the bill passing. However, you are right about the ugliness that is taking over our society. It is frightening that the John Burch Society and the KKK are rearing their hate filled heads once more.

    The Great Depression brought on such mentality. When the economy tanks the ignorant have to find a straw man to blame instead of finding out about the true facts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An absolutely wonderful post! This morning I feel like I have my country back. Last evening I saw the President rise to his highest in leadership skills.

    I have to admit I grew faint along the long march but our president did not. I saw this in him during the campaign which is one of the reasons I voted for him.

    It feels good to again experience hope for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree with you more. Last night after I heard that this passed, I went to the Fox News site and left a comment of support for it amidst the dozens of furious, hateful remarks. That felt pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why people have to be such haters. I am a conservative republican and I'm proud of it, however, I do have an open mind and I care about the welfare of others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. but you did it all the same, despite these ugly people creating ugly scenes. Congratulations.
    It takes years to change mindsets, attitudes, good luck with the future.
    Our Health Service here is not perfect and there are many detractors, but I know i will receive free medical care when I am ill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo to you for your post today! I felt like you took the words right out of my mouth...and, heart.

    I'm still trying to figure out where all of this rage is coming from???

    Scary, and sad.
    It's time to work together and heal...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, yes, yes....and using money as the arguing point. I too am fearful that those opposed will now hack the bill to pieces through the courts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But if we don't say what needs saying, what good are we contributing to the situation? I say well done, well said! This is worth publishing for everyone to read. I hope it makes a difference but usually the people who most need to see themselves in the mirror, can't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really.. I don't get it. I don't get the resistance to health care and I sure don't get the venom. I know so many Americans (mostly via online venues.. many in "real life") and this sure doesn't come from you folks. Who ARE these ugly people.. and why? It's a scary, unfathomable situation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think the majority of Americans understand why the Republicans were against the bill. They weren't against reform...just this bill that doesn't do a thing to reform the system. Nothing in it to open up insurance across state lines, nothing on tort reform, etc.

    What this bill did was make more people dependent on a government handout, create more bureaucracy and taxes, and take away more of our freedoms.

    I'm in favor of true health care reform and this just wasn't in any way, shape, or form it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Richard stated my position on this bill much better than I could.
    Thank You Richard, well said.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad to hear reasonable ideas and argument on this. And I am thankful that my blog readers on both sides of the isle can have intelligent disagreement. I am sick about the violence today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "This was not a bill about sending our men and women to war. This was not a bill about rescinding the constitution. This was a bill about caring for our citizens who through no fault of their own need a hand. These are not welfare junkies but people who have lost jobs or lost fights with the death panels of the insurance agencies."


    Well put. One of our congressmen was targeted. I think some Republican politicians have blood on their hands for inciting this kind of out of proportion violence.

    Republicans fought social security, medicaid, and some fought civil rights and then had to get used to it and on record say they support it. I think this will be similar.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.