Monday, March 08, 2010

Twelve Tribes Ship

While in Savannah the "Peacemaker Ship" was in the harbor. I know very little about this religious group that calls themselves the Twelve Tribes and assume they have some controversy since they are so different but if you click on the blog title you can learn more from their web site.  The ship itself was very interesting and a tour of most of the ship was available free to the pubic.  It was spotless and almost looked as though it had never seen a voyage.  This group has plans to dock at various ports throughout the U.S.  They sell pottery and other items and accept donations to raise funds.


I took most of these pictures just for Maggie at Postcards who is intrigued by ships and recently posted a very nice photo of one.  You may also enjoy this post if you also like old style ships and rigging.





The old phrase to "show them the ropes" certainly comes to mind when looking at this photo.  I cannot begin to imagine how complicated sailing this ship would be and how everyone would have to 'dance' together when needed.  This is called a barquentine rig and I know nothing about it, but it sounds so romantic.  Hubby has just finished reading the entire Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian (which I gave him one birthday) and was into this self guided tour big time.




Looks like they may need a rope weaver for this important rope above.



Above is the command center, of course.



Clearly every detail was carefully preserved including keeping several stained glass doors near the former bar.  This ship was built by Italian craftsmen in Brazil and launched in 1989 by a Brazilian industrialist before it was sold to this group.  It is quite beautiful. Feel free to click on photos for a closer look.

21 comments:

  1. You're right...that is a lot of rope. I'd never thought about it.
    Nice photo journal. Makes me yearn for a "ride." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to sail on that ship. It would evoke thoughts of a more leisurely and romantic time.

    Does the Twelve Tribes have anything to do with the Twelve Tribes of Israel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ship and its history is also fascinating. I wandered around Google a bit with the ship's name. They do have a site. A yacht once.

    http://www.twelvetribes.com/peacemaker/

    Twelve communes, a la 1967, uniting to fund this version of how they live. Absolutely a fascinating story. Thank you so much. :)

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An elegantly gorgeous ship. Thanks for the pictures. The windows and the woodwork is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! That anonymous was me. I guess I've been off the blogs too long. I also enjoyed seeing the website Tabor, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. kenju would have loved to see that!! Gorgeous stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a beautiful ship; I love that stained glass. I just looked up the Twelve Tribes and was fascinated by their history; they're a combination of fundamental Christianity and Messianic Judaism, quite a mix. They have a number of different businesses & have run crosswise with the law regarding child labor.

    But, whatever, I love that ship!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful. The stained glass, wood.. rope... all lovely to the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each of those stained glass windows must be insured for between $50,000 and $100,000 and still could not be replaced if broken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Pictures. I was a crew member of the ship for a few months in late fall last year. It is definitely an experience to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting comment Levi...you have a perfect name for crewing that ship!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this ship looks as squeaky clean as I imagine the Twelve Tribes wish to see themselves.I know about ships being scrubbed and polished as a matter of pride,until they are ship-shape and Bristol-fashion, but this really looks as if it has never tasted of drop of salt water.

    Good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful ship and I can see why you'd need to LEARN the ropes when looking at that photo!

    Salem, Mass has an interesting ship downtown near the shops, somewhere near the famous witch museum, which you'd love. I need to find those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like a lovely ship. I, too, have read all of that series -- multiple times -- and am as amazed by them as I can be by any RPV or TGV. The technology is amazing.

    Though I'm still not completely sure where the phrase 'three sheets to the wind really came from.'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures. I read some of the stuff about the Twelve Tribes from your link, and they sound like good people. I myself am not religious, and I have never been able to understand the appeal of group living. But it is interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful ship! And it's even more attractive when you say launched in '89, which means it's a fairly new rendition of its old model. Ever since living in a series of antique farmhouses, I firmly prefer new over old.
    And it's interesting how people differ on what's romantic. While old houses and ships may seem "romantic" to casual observers, it takes living in one to quickly get over that notion. And even this ship is not romantic to me, because I know the work involved in sailing it and keeping it in this pristine condition. All I can say is, This must be one heck of a well-heeled sect to own and maintain this behemoth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ML how was your Florida trip? Warmer than mine, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fabulous that they let you look around! It looks amazing. I used to know how to splice ropes, but it's been a long time since I did any.... I might remember if I needed to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful ship! When we were in San Juan there was a sailing ship that was providing tours and taking donations to sail to their next port. It looked like a working ship, though - a fishing vessel. I have been on plenty of those, but nothing that looks like this! Beautiful!

    I am going to go read the story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.