Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Florida Part



As I mentioned in the prior post our drive into Florida was challenging.  It seemed that the cold wet front followed us all the way to central Florida where we stopped to visit friends.  Our friends own one of the deepest (if not the deepest) spring in Florida and they live hidden down a dirt road.  Such a nice respite to be someplace that is 'almost' original Florida.  Lets hope that the powers that be (and they are strong powers) do not take away this spring.



A Deep Freshwater Spring.




We drove further south to visit the Naples botanical garden, but discovered that it was brand new and did not have much to offer. So what we really accomplished was donating funds so that it could grow to be more interesting in years to come.




The children's garden was fun and mostly complete and a good place to bring grandchildren some day...maybe.  Maybe I will meet Beverly or Onewoman with their lovely grandchildren running through this garden on a Florida afternoon.  It seems to be designed to fit all ages and includes a tree house, climbing nets, a water place and a large sand play area.




We also stopped at the Edison/Ford summer homes-museum and spent an afternoon walking around.  It is full of industrial inventions and shows the history of much of the industrialization in our country, so we could have spent all day except hubby had to stop and talk to Mrs. Edison.  She was quite an imposing woman, but then she would have to be, to be married to Thomas, wouldn't she?. (Hubby loved this trip since everywhere we stopped, he got to do most of the talking.)


I have just a few photos of the place where we stayed down south to follow and all my outdoor stuff on Florida gets posted 'you know where."

14 comments:

  1. Tabor, wonder if I would want to put that toilet in my woods somewhere?? My little girls would laugh. With my remodeling in the past I have thrown away a lot of them!!! I think next winter I must go somewhere "warm".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a wonderful trip!! Great photos! And that natural spring is something else. What a treasure!
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog, dear one. I so appreciate that and your sweet comments!!
    Hugging you
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess everyone has been disappointed in the weather in Florida this winter. Arizona has not been exempt from bad weather, either. Instead of our usual warm sunny days we have had one rainstorm after another accompanied with chilly winds.

    At least we don't have to shovel snow unless you go up in the mountains.

    Mrs. Edison looks quite imposing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Edison is certainly larger than life. And is that a blue toilet? We do so appreciate you sharing these little adventures with us once you left the snows behind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what kind of tree has these yellow flowers? Is it a mimosa? if so, I am green with envy. I love mimosa but they just never last in water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I miss Florida. I lived there for some of the best years of my life, and my last child was born there. He still loves Florida.

    Your trip sounds wonderful, weather notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, Friko,it is an ornamental palm tree...not mimosa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, mine is also a very small, and very expensive camera. I love the fact that it has every kind of image stabilization known to man plus 12 mp. And I had it in a padded bag inside my purse which I forgot to zip. I'm just sick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my heavens, Mrs. Edison looks formidable...and as if she might be from a lost race of giants. This is probably a good thing, if Edison's habits when it came to the invention of others are any indication, he had a flexible moral code.

    His wife being made of stern and imposing stuff is a good thing.

    Looks like a fun trip, and the toilet planter is making me laugh. I now dwell in the land of an HOA but in our old neighborhood, someone made use of an old claw foot tub in the same manner...much to the chagrin of the neighborhood association who couldn't do a darn thing to stop him.

    I liked that tub, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shimp citizen, I also like living where people do not feel a need to tell you what you can or cannot put in your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Road trip, road trip. Any tips for the Pensacola area? Family & I are making the trek there this year to see my Navy Medic grandson. It's a long way from Nor Cal, but I so need those special grandson hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really enjoying the news of your journeys and am so glad you are sharing! All I remember recently of Florida was C*O*L*D, so I am glad to get a look at it through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That toilet shot reminds me of the one I took at at hardware store where it was filled with sand and t hey were using it for an ashtray. I captioned it "Still for Buts."

    Looks like my new blog isn't posting to your feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun stuff. Gotta love that toilet planter. I guess it contains pottying soil. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.