Saturday, February 06, 2010

Dog in the Sun



This photo is not the mini-me version of the sun or some alien vehicle crossing the winter sky on the horizon.  These are sun-dogs that I was able to capture during our recent tour of Stratford Hall Plantation in Virginia.  (Stratford Hall Plantation is approximately 1900 acres preserved in memory of the very wealthy Lee family of American history.  Maybe I will post more on that someday.)

These sun-dogs are formed by sunlight and ice crystals and can be seen best when the sun is low in the sky.  They appear on each side of the sun.  These photos were taken at about 4:00 in the late afternoon.  If I had been able to shoot directly at the sun with a filtered lens I would have been able to capture the sun-dog on each side with the sun in the middle.  But here the sun is off the screen on opposite sides in these photos.  The earliest description of the sun-dog was probably 1533 in Moravia.  Fascination with sun-dogs can be found in literature, poetry, music and art whenever people think three suns  in the sky are an omen of some kind.

Keep your eyes toward the late sky in winter and you may see sun-dogs.  Woof!

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous!!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know that I have ever heard of sun dogs before but I think I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't heard of sun dogs before. i love them tabor! great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabor, I've never heard of this before, nor seen it. What a thoroughly enjoyable, eye-opening experience.

    I've been there, by the way, long ago. Very long ago, actually. It would be lovely, at least from my perspective, if you did do a post.

    You know how long ago things exist only at the fringes of your memory? That's how it is for me. I read your post, and thought, "Oh my dad took me there...I remember...hmmm...I remember some...grass? Oh lord."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fascinating stuff. I'd necer heard of sun dogs beofre. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of this before.
    I will keep my eye on the sky.
    Thank you for teaching me something new!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my eyes must be failing....I cannot see a dog? Am i supposed to? I will reread and look some more....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just proves that you are never too old to learn something new. Like the others, I had never heard of sun dogs before. I think they are the small bright spots on the side of the sun that look like small suns. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to do some research on why they are called dogs...perhaps because they stay at the side of the sun. Beverly, they do not actually look like dogs, so your eyes are not deceiving you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating. I saw one about a month ago, but I didn't know what it was then. Thanks for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of a sun-dog before!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had only heard of sun dogs for the first time when I happened to photograph one two winters ago and posted it on my blog. One of my readers informed me what it was. I'd had no idea. That year I continued to see several. I really need my camera to SEE! Lovely shots. You're right about how they get that name. They heel on either side of their master, the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see a woman with wind in her hair! Now I know what a sun dog is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of sun dogs. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love to see these. I've captured a few in my photographing lifetime and always feel "honored" to see them.

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.