Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cabin Fever



This past week the days were filled with 30 mile per hour winds and temperatures that did not go above 30 F for very long.  (It seems that the entire northern hemisphere of earth did not escape this frigid freight train that was storming its way to the equator.  Even iguanas were falling out of trees in Florida like frozen gray green popsicles.)  I watched out the window at the birds darting around the feeders.  They were all puffed up like cotton balls of brown or tan or red or black as they tried to stuff themselves even more round with fatty seeds.  I was getting so tired of staring out windows.


I put on my heavy winter coat and braved the winter winds to see what was happening down on the river.  I had not been outside in three days and this indoor sentence was certainly getting on my nerves.  I steeled my courage to head outside. The back door to the deck which had not been opened in days was stuck and stiff to open.  I pulled hard and it released suddenly blowing open with the rush of bitter icy wind followed by tulip tree seeds that scattered across the carpet.

The wind whipped at my scarf and coat as I held on tight to my camera to keep it warm for just a while.  The naked branches of trees above my head danced as if in some crazy drug induced trance.  Everything was being pummeled by this arctic rush hour expressway.

I saw the scene in the photo above when I reached the river's edge.  Waves had frozen in custard layers as they grazed the shore during the night.  The tide was heading out but against the push of the wind onto the shore creating waves of ice.  Nothing was moving along the edge of the river.  Everything was still and frozen or hibernating somewhere.

A gust of wind pushed hard against my back and almost dumped me unceremoniously into the cold wet river.  I planted my feet firmly and leaned into the wind, but found it hard to keep my balance as the gusts were not predictable and I was out on the edge of the open water and not in the small shelter of the woods.




I took a few photos and then made my way back to the house.  Its warmth was certainly welcome when I opened the back door.

This cold is below the normal and seems to be going on forever.  Thankfully we have not had to contend with snow drifts or ice sheets...just endless blowing wind that was cold enough to freeze a witches...!  Spring, do not be afraid, your turn is coming.

10 comments:

  1. The thought of you being blown into the icy water made me shiver. Be careful out there!!

    We are supposed to get back into the 50's by Wednesday - so maybe you'll have relief soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going out for lunch today because we're having a heat wave. It is +3 degrees. Ron did not walk but he drove down the hill to the lake yesterday to see it frozen over for the first time since we've lived here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "cold as a witch's ..." made me laugh - my dad was forever saying that. It's 4 this morning here in my part of rural western MA. That's four degrees higher than yesterday at the same time. I know cabin fever - that drive to get out no matter what the weather, just to breathe some fresh air and break the monotony of winter!

    Both your blogs make delightful reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I have been about to freeze here in Memphis. The heater is way tired....I would have liked to been there with you and my camera...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same weather in my area. Oh, but the sun is shining today and it makes it seem warmer then it it. Even wind has quit blowing.
    Tomorrow I venture out to the grocery and just to see people!!!
    That is if I see traffic on the main road!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you didn't take off like a kite! The image of iguanas falling out of trees will stay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.. that's a wonderful shot. I'm glad it drew you outside to photograph it. It sure has been an incredibly cold winter so far. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful it all may be but I have had enough of it. Benno and I have to go out in this, snow and icy paths, with not a level surface anywhere. We here in the Uk are totally unprepared for such conditions, everything comes to a standstill; the gas tank is running down alarmingly; as is the dog food and bird food. We can't even get out of our own drive to get to the shops.
    Enough, Help!

    The worst thing is that I feel totally, helplessly, paralyzed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love your words, at first I was hoping it was an introduction to a book you were recommending..

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, man, do NOT go gentle into that frigid night!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.