Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Old Grand Guest

The sunrise
kissed the icy edge of the river
pink.
It glowed
with a virginal blush.
But it did not warm
or even embarrass anything.




The sky melted pink
but all else was silver gray.
The hoary breath of January
stilled all in its path.
Even the birds
trilled only once
afraid to let the cold
know where they were.
This temporary status
aches my heart
and cools my memories
and fogs my breath
and slows my bones.
This timeless visitor
has settled into the guest room
and seems to enjoy
the waiting with no
anticipation,
hanging around
like a wet gray fog.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful words that paint a beautiful and haunting picture. Like some gray ambience enveloping your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I like this line:
    "Even the birds
    trilled only once
    afraid to let the cold
    know where they were."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good lord, that's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful and soothing words. The imagery it conjures is awesome. Thank you!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Words !! Simply soothing !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful poem. I could just see the pink tinged lake and feel the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found a web site that sells the plate sized hibiscus flowers that you asked about a couple of years ago. (I know!) The photo was taken at my brother's house and they are huge plate-sized pink hibiscus. Here is the web site from an ad I found:

    mibulb.com/005

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabor, this photo is beautiful and your words are gorgeous. I loved this entire post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is the post on the Flower Shuttle:

    http://imagineomit.blogspot.com/2010/01/flower-shuttle.html

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.