Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Stuffed


The world is full of stuff and this is very evident in the United States at this time of year.  Our primary economic goal it seems is to produce new stuff to replace the old stuff.   
We get so much stuff that we have to rent spaces outside our homes in which to hoard what we no longer need or use.  (Yes, I have harangued on this theme before.)  There are those that produce paper instead of stuff (not the authors or poets), but the others, and they are a bunch of crooks so I give them no space or comment here.

Stuff includes toys that break the day after Christmas, electronic devices that are old and dated within months, cars that lose their value once sold, new clothing that is too tight, too bright, and too sad to wear, the rarest of foods that cost more than would be spent on food for a year in a third world country, and those sparkles that say 'I make more money than you' and also outshine the person it was bought for.  (Unless you are thinking of that famous bra which is worth more than some countries' budgets.)


I do not need more stuff, but not because I am so pure or so rich or so zen, but because I have purchased lots of stuff and I now know its true value.  I have thrown away more stuff than can be gathered in an all day Christmas sale....perhaps an all week Christmas sale.  I need nothing.  (Except that new PC so that I can tell the world my thoughts, of course.  Although, truth be told, it is not really necessary to my life.)  I am old enough that everything I wear can last me until I die.  My house is so crowded with furniture that I could get rid of much of it.  The garage needs a real cleaning as does the basement in this NEW house. And I won't even begin to detail the kitchen with cupboards and drawers hiding every gadget known to cooks. So much for going through another holiday of being 'stuffed.'

Next year I am going to take the reins of this holiday giving in hand early and send out a list of what I really want.  More of their time.  That will fix them!

10 comments:

  1. Stuff. Well said.

    I enjoyed that read very much. Very much indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've spoken for me as well. It's truly the only thing I need, more time with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my Higher Power's birthday ...so I do enjoy the season ...but as for presents? Except for babies or small children ...(who can have anything) we only give homemade ...we started that a few years ago ..and nobody has to worry and/or spend money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does that also include movies not to be watched anymore but still stored anyway? I have that habit which needs to be attended to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time I could use; lots more of it!! and stuff? I could do without it. In fact, I am going to start tossing a lot of it out after the first of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been working on sorting,stacking and throwing out. I still have stuffed bags full of vital stuff -- especially the bags! Someone should sneak in behind me and walk these to our incinerator and burn them quickly. I'm betting it would be at least five years (if ever) before these things are missed. Why,why do we do this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tabor, you know I could have written this. Now that I have downscaled - I have done what most people are doing or thinking of doing it. I like it.
    Plus on the clothing issue - I really agree. It will last until my ashes are spread in the woods.
    My old things are made better then what you find offered in the stores. Maybe that is why it is lasting so long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or do as I do and leave for the holiday. :) Yes, I bought 8 matching bowls today....I saw them and HAD to have them. So the rule is that I must get rid of 8 bowls....and I only got rid of six. Oh woe is me. Now I shall regeneration my old 6 bowls to a daughter who has only one bowl left. Happy free of stuff holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. We spend so much time collecting stuff only to then want to get rid of most of it before we die. It's so ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your timing is impeccable. I've been begging time from my daughter since she moved out (and 10 minutes away, mind you). I just love it when she'll actually call me to say "Ugh, I'm so bored today."
    Gee. What's that say for good ol' ma sittin here watching paint fade? haha

    Have missed reading you ... wishing you and yours the warmest of holiday wishes and the most peaceful and healthy New Year you can muster!

    Hugs ... Weary

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.