Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Dirty Seven

Lessons from a Windows 7 user (I know, I know...I promised>):

  1. The version of Freecell that comes with my PC  has lovelier graphics but is much harder to play.  I can't win most of the games like I used to. 
  2. USB ports sometimes recognize what you plug into them and sometimes Windows 7 is off polishing its mother board and ignores your hardware.  (Maybe computers are so snarly because they don't have a father board? Is he out running another background check on a virus?)  PS...Through training I think my PC is beginning to get the hang of my plug-ins at long last!
  3. The default on this new version of Windows does not change how your mouse looks (remember the hourglass) when it is thinking.  That means that sometimes you think 7 is done thinking and you move your mouse elsewhere...but nothing happens because it is still thinking!
  4. Windows 7 does not like anything 'old' and there are not enough Windows 7 users for software companies to make something 'new'.  Use your old software at your own risk and good luck finding compatible new versions on the Internet.
  5. Windows 7 gives you lots of 'helpful' little pop-up windows asking you questions when you are trying to move or upload something as it accesses various software "assistants" and it sometimes makes me a little dyslexic as to which one to choose.  Sometimes the windows hide behind each other and you don't even know it has been hanging until you close all the windows.
  6. A fancy new feature of Windows 7 that would only appeal to the designers or 14-year-0lds is that you can 'shake' the window in which you are working and it will automatically expand to the full screen.  This unfortunately also happens if you cannot see the mouse pointer and you are moving the mouse rapidly back and forth to see where the pointer is located and the screen jumps to full view.  Very annoying if you have several windows up at once.
  7. The last thing I noticed on this PC, although not a function of Windows 7, was that the flash drive port is a little tight.  My husbands X-rated response..."Well, of course.  It's a virgin port.  It should be a little tight."  You can see how much tech help I get from him!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm not looking forward to upgrading. I'm going to put it off as long as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I didn't read this post. I just want to wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year. Hope you'll have a great time with your family. Thanks a lot for always visiting my site and for taking time to share your thoughts. I truly appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking I'm holding on to my XP for another decade, at least!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. G thought that last one was very funny. I want to remind you that all your hardware is old too. Windows 7 won't like it either.

    Hey, have a really great holiday despite Windows 7 and Microsoft. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah technology! It seems we always sacrafice something in order to improve and move ahead. I guess that's just the way.

    Love your husband's response. That's cute.

    I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Windows is always "Thinking"... Thanks for being the guinea pig. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how you make me appreciate my Mac even more. I hope you get all of the bugs figured out before too long.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.