Saturday, October 03, 2009

Happy Harvest

I spent the better part of today 'cleaning' the forest. This meant cutting back nasty wild roses, removing dead limbs from trees, and trying to drag stubborn vines from around trees. I even cut one poison ivy vine that was about 2 inches across and covered with those tell-tale spidery roots that cling to the tree trunk.

Hubby spent time cutting the large pieces of wood into manageable size for our small wood-burning fireplace. We now have enough cut wood (some even split) for at least three winters. That is good, because much of this needs drying and aging time. I loaded each log into the wheelbarrow and pushed to the wood pile where I spent careful time stacking. The process is something like building a rock wall in that wood pieces must be selected according to shape and size before placing on the pyramid of wood. Once it is all stacked it makes an interesting wall.

This afternoon I am harvesting the last of the garden. We do not have too many more days of growing weather with the cool nights. I have made enough pesto, roasted tomato sauce, and frozen enough beans to make me feel very full of food already.

Our fridge is now full of salsa and pickled hot peppers to warm us in the coming cold nights.

My project this evening is shredding the 30 or so carrots that, while not very pretty, do have a reasonably sweet flavor and will make delicious carrot cake. (I have admitted defeat on the large box of spaghetti squash which is stored in our basement and will accept that the mice may get to much of it before us.)

Tomorrow I am going to try "Butternut Squash au Gratin" from a recipe sent by my daughter. Add enough butter and cheese to any squash and it becomes quite delicious if no longer healthy.

I think this is going to defeat the small weight loss from my Colorado mountain hiking.

9 comments:

  1. WOW. You have been busy!! I'd love to see your wall of wood when it's finished. I hope you took precautions when you cut that poison ivy vine. The last time I cut some, I was covered from head to toe with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness; where do you get all that energy? I am amazed at the hard work you did all day and can still shred carrots.

    Yes, like Kenju, I hope you don't get poison ivy. Im years past I had that and another time I came in contact with poison oak and it's not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just planting for spring and you are harvesting your last for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder. I must get the last of the fall/winter veggies in the ground.
    Fried green tomatoes tomorrow, yumm, yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the pleasures of having a garden is having lots of fresh food. I envy you for being ready for winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks and sounds yummy! You are right. Adding enough butter and cheese makes anything taste good.

    My neighbors have not touched their garden in weeks. It is all going to waste. Makes me very sad to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The butternut squash sounds delicious. It is one of my faviourite soups.

    Sounds like the forest around your home will also be safer now. Weakened trees and tree limbs are very dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nasty wild roses? Is that like, roses in black leather jackets? Or shanks instead of thorns?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been one busy lady. The poison ivy is something I could not handle. Butternut squash is one of my favorites. Share how you prepare.
    I need to clean my forest but had little girl visitors. They were suppose to help - but - we never got to it.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.