Saturday, October 31, 2009

Feeling Fallow Fall

This is the view toward the deer gate. I can almost see my driveway disappearing beneath the forest leaves. Will I be able to find my way out by next week? So much work!

Tonight, as I watched the sun go down from my living room, I prepared a lovely mushroom ravioli with homemade tomato/basil /green pepper sauce with the last of the vegetables harvested from the garden. I am home alone, so forcing myself to actually prepare a healthy and fresh meal was not easy. (I could have had microwaved popcorn.) I washed these healthy antioxidants down with a nice Sangiovese that I had purchased at my recent visit to the Biltmore estate. I am alone and so adjusting to enjoying good food by myself is taking some effort. I removed the small bag of frozen peach pie filling made months ago and after thawing added to a pie crust and sliced a fresh apple on top, added more cinnamon and sprinkled some granola cereal on top of it all. It turned out delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Here is the back yard that I need to either rake or blow. It was clean just days ago, so I am being somewhat lazy and putting this off. It is a contest with the trees. They still have lots of leaves. They throw them down in the wind like yellow flakes of gold, as if they were gentlemen throwing down their yellow gloves as if in a challenge to duel. But then, when I look up, the trees still have more wealth to share. I will never win this duel.

The sex-crazed squirrels spend all their time chattering and laughing at my confusion.

10 comments:

  1. You are far more ambitious than I am. I would have had the microwave popcorn if I had to fix it myself, but your feast sounds delicious and I wish I had someone to make a meal like that for me.

    Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home looks beautiful and your surroundings are just as lovely. Keeping leaves raked is hard work. Your meal sounds excellent, even though I don't like mushrooms. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of leaves. I have two trees to worry about and (since my surgery) I can't do a thing about them this year. I am depending on others who are no-shows to rake and clear them.

    My neighbor did do a big section for me. I never ask him to, he just does it.

    Good luck with yours. The pasta dish will give your more energy than the popcorn would have. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The leaves in your surroundings - look just like mine. I cannot see my drive. Your view from the living room is beautiful. I have a empty field. Like Darlene shared - your feast sounds delicious. I made corn chowder and having a rootbeer float!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too would have had something really simple. And at my worst, I would hire someone to rake or blow those leaves. Terrible, aren't I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should have invited me to this lucullian repast, I'd have come and shared it with pleasure.

    no point in raking up leaves until they're all down. We've had such high winds that ours have gone, to that great leaf bin at the back of the garden where they will stay and rot until they have become gorgeous, crumbly leafmold some time next autumn when they will get used in the fernery as a nourishing mulch. Almost as good for the ferns as your dinner is for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When mr. kenju is gone, I usually have scrambled eggs and either English muffins or frozen waffles. You are to be commended!!

    Our leaves were blown on Sat. morning and my Sat. night, we couldn't tell it had been done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You reminded me that I have a few veggies in my bin that my son won't touch. I guess that'll be my lunch tomorrow. I'd really rather just do the popcorn. ;)

    Lovely photos.. you have a beautiful property.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like cooking for myself either. I guess food is meant to be shared with others.

    Tabor, I dream of walking or lying down on the ground with lots of fallen leaves, like the setting on the movie, Autumn in New York. :)

    You like in a beautiful place Tabor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't mind cooking good food for myself but I get tired of eating it 2 or 3 times.

    I usually don't rake until spring, letting the elements break down the workload.

    Why am I so tired today? Still getting over the weekend dance as Soul Man?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.