Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Out of Pocket

It seems that the fates have converged in a unique formation in the coming weeks. My PC which is about 8 or 9 years old has decided it will not cooperate any more. I am sending it into the repair clinic before I lose everything that I do not back up---which is everything on the PC.

Symptoms include auto shutdowns, lock-ups, and inability to keep my photography software open for any length of time. The fan kicks on frequently and closing a program can take a very long time. I hope I don't need a new PC, but my gut feeling is that the store will recommend that!

Secondly, I am heading out on a jet plane to the other side of the country for a week's change of scenery. I will be eating and sleeping with relatives some of the time and some of the time I will be spending with my camera outside---I hope.

Thirdly, I have a post on this blog that has been pre-scheduled and several on my other blog, so that my readers will not disappear. But I will not be responding or reading blogs in the coming weeks.

Behave yourselves while I am gone, please. (OKAY...don't behave yourself...life IS short after all.)

12 comments:

  1. Do enjoy your trip. Take lots of photos.

    Eat and sleep well.

    Be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my computer and yours are in cahoots, since I am having all the same problems. We are going to see if we can get more memory installed - to stave off the inevitable purchase of a new one.

    Have a good trip - we'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your PC will be ok soon!

    Have a nice trip and enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weeks? We will be bereft. :) Seriously, have a great time.

    And yes, you need a new one. After about five years, old computers do not play well with other's any more. I'm using my six or seven year old dinosaur as an external hard drive. There I have everything but the current stuff backed up. I back up to disc too......I lost everything once years ago, and now I have all the family photos on my computers. I'm very wary of losing it all again.

    Enjoy...she says waving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your the second one I've read about that may have to purchase a new PC. Good luck in both your upcoming endeavors. I'll be looking forward to the pics and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a safe and enjoyable journey.

    My guru tells me that the life of a computer is about five years and you have certainly gotten good usage out of yours. I feel sure you are right; a new computer will be the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun, enjoy yourself. The computer worries will still be there when you get back. Treat yourself to a new one, go on, you know you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your trip is purely for pleasure. And that you enjoy. Be safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually do not leave until next weekend, and the trip is for pleasure. I have so much to do to close up the house before the coming
    Friday. I will so miss blogging, as it has become an addiction for me. My PC goes into the shop next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am believing my PC is getting ready to bite the dust soon. I do have my laptop to fall back on until we can replace the PC.

    Do we have to be good while you are gone? That's a bit demanding, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! And bring us more stories and pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 8 or 9 years out of a PC is remarkable! I usually retire a frontline machine after 3 years, at which point it cascades down to the children or becomes an experimental weekend Linux project.

    I fear that timeline will only compress with time. Quite the bummer as I look at my ancient manual typewriter - the one I first wrote with - and realize it's been in my family for close to half a century.

    Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.