Sunday, September 06, 2009

My Husband's Non-Wicked Step Sisters


I reunited with them both again a few months ago when we attended my husband's S.I.L.'s funeral. They had aged...probably they seemed much older to me because they were a decade and some years older than I already.

They are like opposite sides of the same coin of womanhood. I have met them on and off in years past but was so wrapped up in my own family and my travels that I did not really see them. One of the wonders of aging is you get clarity of mind vision. Actual vision becomes blurry, but that is to ones' advantage because then you can see the reality of life much better.

They were daughters from my husband's father's first marriage. It was a marriage of wealth and unfaithfulness and ended badly. So badly that no one mentioned the name of the first wife in my F.I.L's presence. Mary was the youngest daughter from this union and the dark haired one with the hour glass figure. When she reached her teenage years she was compared to Elizabeth Taylor and from photos I have seen she did resemble her. Sally, her older sister, was the thin and blonder version. She had freckles and looked like the farm girl next door. She was also the thinner thinker. Sally loved to laugh and her laughter was contagious.

Mary went on to marry a man of the 1950's era. Who knows what drove him and also what devils haunted him. This was an era of cocktails and arguments. Devout Catholics they had five children between them. Four girls and a boy. Mary's husband left her in the lurch with all five shortly after that and actually settled on an island in the Caribbean where his drinking was the norm rather than something which caused heated arguments. Mary's children never saw him except for the son who became an adult and sought him out as male children need to do when fathers are an enigma. Mary was blessed with a good brain and devotion to her children. She worked very ,very hard making all those standard sacrifices, and in time, worked her way up to managing an important office in the State government. Her children each became successful in their own way and were loyal to her. When I saw her at the funeral she was overweight and arthritis was compromising her ability to stand for any length of time. But I saw that spark of intelligence in her eyes that had helped her survive the burden life had given her. I saw that energy in her dark eyes that had been the heat that burned her whole life like an excellent warm brandy. For some reason she made a connection with me.

I had seen Sally more often in my trips to my husband's side of the family. She had married, divorced, re-married the same man and then buried him when he died of throat cancer. He had been a heavy smoker, as many were during that era. Their marriage was more like the Taylor-Burton love. It was loyal but painful. She was like bubbles in champagne and actually became lovelier as she aged. She wasn't smart and sometimes couldn't follow an intense conversation. She dated often in her elder years and I think it was because she was such a fragile butterfly that elder men could not resist her. She married a third time to a shyster who gave the impression he was an architect. I had met him and he was quite smart and handsome. She figured out her mistake within the year and this was followed by an expensive divorce.

As she reached her early 80's she met a retired airline pilot. They fell in love and she married once again. I met him and both my husband and I liked him but noticed his aging memory lapses. He seemed to be in his late 80's. Both he and Sally continue to travel all over the world including a honeymoon in China where they sent photographs of themselves in elaborate Chinese costume. They recently flew to England to participate in the dedication of an airline museum. Sally is just as ditsy as ever, but now people think it is due to old age.

Both stories are the kind that could make a movie. Their lives are like yours and mine in some ways, but to me so much more interesting than mine.

9 comments:

  1. That does indeed sound like a good plot for a movie, Tabor. Why are everyone else's families more interesting than mine???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabor so interesting and great writing. Some of us do see better with age, and life lessons learned. I think other people families are more interesting because you don't have to live with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, clarity comes through wisdom. Your writing draws me in and I am in the scene. You don't even have to give too many details for me to envision the clothes, the homes, the clubs, the era. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have wonderful stories in our family too but no one can remember them. You have done a fine job right here recording family history to save through time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure there are stories within this story that would make for a good novel. Imagine divorcing and making the same mistake again. (If that was the case.) It would be fun to explore the entire life of such interesting women. And imagine looking like Elizabeth Taylor. (Don't I wish!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tabor, I just tagged you on my blog for a Meme. If you don't want to play it's perfectly okay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet your life is every bit as interesting. However you sure are a good observer of others, and your description of these distant relatives is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely portraits, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabor, love the way you write. Yes, it could be a novel or a movie.
    If I could share - without embarassing my children - you could write "some" post!!!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.