Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Good, the Bad and The Surprises

I am not an idiot. The fact that I feel compelled to write that, maybe leaves the statement open to some debate. I knew full well when I began once again the challenging landscaping/gardening journey that it was going to be a jazz dance...an exhausting jazz dance with my poor choreography. I had mentioned the Perennial Plant dance that takes place in the fall when you find some plants overtaking an area, or needing more sun, or better drainage or a better contrasting plant or just a better place to florish. I have about 10 15 plants that I will need to move this fall. I planted some too close to the house as a temporary space before the deer fence went up. Some are in deep shade that I did not expect and others have already outgrown their space.

The
good this year was the lovely purple flox that has bloomed for more than a month, the chaste bush that has already grown the size of a small tree and was in full bloom, the zinnias that have large and colorful blooms, the Celosia which had every single seed germinate until I was sticking plants in pots, in the ground and everywhere.


My chaste plant.



Celosia attracting lots of pollinators.


Good old fashioned zinnias.

A nice pink zinnia just begging to be put in a bouquet.

Even the green zinnia are attractive.


The surprise issue here is that I never realized Celosia grew four feet high! Sort of overpowers that little red pot doesn't it?

The same was true of the zinnias on the east side of the house. In deep shade a good part of the day, they grew over four feet in the 2 foot high raised bed. One has to be a basketball player to really appreciate their beauty.


This was a little surprise as it was supposed to be a very different coneflower when I bought it! The photo on the pot looked like a dahlia...a very new and exciting form and PINK! Since I cannot find the plant I thought I bought on the Internet, maybe it doesn't exist. Something is eating the leaves of this plant, so it is soon to not exist as well!

The surprise above is that the photo was taken the last week of July with temps breaking the 90's and the purple pansies were still blooming in this pot. It is on the north side of the house in mostly shade.

Unfortunately I had to post one ugly...my poor sunflowers. 30 plants all chewed or knocked down and only two blossoms trying to put on a show as they lay flat against the earth. Of course, there was NOT a lot of sun and there was lots of rabbits, ground hogs, etc.

16 comments:

  1. I love that Celosia! I never heard of one before.

    My Mom always had zinnias around. I really need to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen or known Celosia either ..gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Tabor, your flowers are GORGEOUS!!! I'm not familiar with the Chaste plant. Is that a shrub? Do I need to investigate getting one and trying it here? I'm in zone 6. I'm looking for anything that is perennial or shrub/tree and grows fast. :) I'm 'green' with envy, girl!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so envy your green thumb. Someday when I am rich I will have a beautiful garden because I will hire he best gardener:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chaste is a vitex plant and can be either a large shrub or trimmed to resemble a small tree. Withstands drought and I think grows wild in Greece. I puts on a show of blueish blooms for about 10-15 days during the late part of July here--zone 7. I think it is hardy to zone 6. Mine grows fast...but I did make sure it was watered regularly the first year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the info, Tabor. I'm going to check into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love the celosia/cockscomb! It and the zinnias must love you to grow that tall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Figuring out where to put everything and getting it right the first time is..well, an exhausting jazz dance, as you so aptly put it.
    I have so many plants that I'd like to move, or at least clear the space around them. It's a neverending job.
    About the daylilies..if the deer eat them it'll break your heart, especially after spending the money and doing the work. Truly, you'll feel more rewarded with something deer resistant. Check out Cameron's blog on my sidebar, "Defining Your Home Garden" (I just realized I still need to put it there. I will!). She lives in NC and has a lovely deer resistant garden.
    I hope you don't mind me handing out advice, but I'd hate to see you disappointed if the deer win the battle...and it seems they usually do, judging by what I read on the blogs.
    However, if you must plant them...go ahead and take the risk with just a few to begin with :)
    I love that Celosia (how unusual it is!), and the Chaste plant is beautiful. Your Zinnias are looking wonderful too. Aren't they a delight? Glad you're enjoying the beauty of the successes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what lovely photographs of your summer garden plants - such a beautiful landscape! celosia and zinnias are annuals here and were for us in GA, too. i really love zinnias - the more you cut them the more they bloom! we don't have the same show of them here, however, becuase they really love heat and plenty of it. we just don't have a long or hot enough growing season here. celosia, however, grows beautifully here. have never seen it so tall as yours! wow! ours are always very bushy with blooms and only about 2 feet tall. could be it comes in different varieties. thanks for the info on the chaste shrub - have never seen it or heard of it before.

    in RE to the deer your reader mentions: we hang out irish spring soap in clear plastic travel containers which hubby punches holes in. he puts these on lines and hangs them from trees to form a parameter around the gardens. he also hangs them near favorite plants. we have day lilies galore and many asian lilies and have never lost even one bloom. he hides soap near the weeping cherry since they love those leaves and blooms and hides another near the rose bed for the same reason. we replace the soap every spring to be sure the fragrance is strong. it has worked for us so far. (we also get a 4# bag of cougar-doo from a small, local zoo and place it under one rhododendron leaving it contained in a small plastic bag.) we have only lost a few columbine blooms in the past 4 years after we put this plan into place, and that was before we remembered to replace the soap bars this spring! before this plan they loved our gardens and ate rhodie blooms, hostas, and many perennials. we live in an abundant wildlife habitat - the deer aren't going to relocate and neither are we, so we are glad to have resolved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are beautiful. I enjoy a beautiful garden; even more since I can no longer have one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now why can't my yard look like that?? If I had a garden like that, I wouldn't come in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zinnias are my standby. I like marigolds too because they grow like weeds. Anything easy. I too have a laundry list of weeding and moving of plants so much so that I complain I need a gardener. Mainly we have a few trees that have to come down and that are shrouding over a couple of my flower gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous flowers!!!! You have quite the green thumb. How lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is very lovely. It's a shame about the sunflowers. I saw the most beautiful sunflowers in Nashville, when my sister and I were driving around. I wanted to get a photo but my sister was already frustrated about being lost and she doesn't appreciate exploring like I do, so I didn't get my photo. Your other flowers in the garden are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have learned more about what does good where this year too. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful flowers.. your space must be lovely. I'll bet you just breathe it in as needed. The up side of that last photo, is that your plants nourished local critters. That's a good thing - though not for your garden.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.