Friday, June 05, 2009

Stuff

Dictionary.com has over 15 definitions for the word 'stuff'. Clearly we are lazy and use this word a lot. Not as much a f***, but almost, being the vocabulary deprived nation that we are.

On my recent visit to Nassau this store at least admits that it sells stuff by the lettering over the door.

Above is someone's precious stuff that was thrown out onto the street when they could not pay rent two years ago.

I have lots of non-precious stuff that should be thrown out. What is non-precious stuff? This stuff is that object that is so rare that it has remained in that dusty box at the back of the closet for years. Non-precious stuff is that very useful gizmoo that you have never used that sits in the darkest part of the kitchen drawer. Stuff is that gift you bought that you never gave away which now sits on the top shelf of your closet just waiting to be noticed once again. Stuff is that brand new hand-held appliance that costs too much to repair and would break your heart to toss away and so it sits on the garage shelf waiting for 'someday.' Stuff is that pair of shoes worn to a wedding that will never again see the light of day. Stuff are those 1,000 fishing lures carefully organized in that Tupperware container in the garage. And, if you are like me, your stuff comes with stuff. I am thinking of the 4 pieces of two-foot square 2 inch thick pure white packing Styrofoam boards that sit awaiting creative genius so that they can be made into some grandchild's project. Unfortunately, I think I packed the creative genius in one of the (unlabeled) cardboard boxes in the closet.

I know that when I die my children will take most of my precious and non-precious stuff and give it away or just toss it into some landfill. I stopped buying folk art years ago because I knew I had too much non-precious stuff. While this thought of tossing bothers my husband because he is tied tightly to his stuff, I am really comfortable in knowing that I will return to dust someday and it is all just stuff!

Lately, I have been (once again) feathering my nest by adding stuff. We recently purchased some hose racks to hang our garden hoses. We just purchased two gold fish and a red waterlily for that fountain we bought last year. I also purchased several trellis stands for around the house to use on all the annual vines I am attempting to grow this year. Hubby bought a sprayer for the liquid fertilizer. We also had to buy two new cushions for the canoe and a long cushion for the patio lounge. I then purchased several new flower pots for the new deck as it was looking awfully bare.

In a fit of organization we finally got around to buying some pieces of peg board and some furring strips to use in the garage so that we could actually find stuff when we needed it.

We bought two new bird feeder hangers because we buried the others so carefully under brick that we cannot move them. (We try to move the feeders once a year because of salmonella issues.) We also bought another bird house to discourage the blue bird from moving into that silly little blue house without the ventilation and drainage. We failed in that attempt, of course, and we now have a brand new empty birdhouse.

We had received a gift of a hammock net from our kids after our long-ago trip to Belize and I finally purchased a hammock frame that we will put together someday soon(!). I had moved one of the deck tables to the patio area so I had to purchase a new small table for the deck to replace it.

The problem with all this purchasing of stuff was that I promised myself when I moved into this house, that I would start a simpler lifestyle. No more stuff! I told myself it was now time in my life to be more zen, to be more accepting of bare space. (I had lived, quite happily I will add, for almost a year on 60 pounds of household goods delivered to my apartment overseas when was younger. Therefore, I know I do not need much stuff.) Having currently failed this promise to myself --- miserably, totally, agonizingly--- I promise this fall I am going through our large basement storage room and begin the process of getting rid of stuff! We have lived here almost two years and not used some of the STUFF down there at all. Who knows, maybe we have someone else's stuff mixed in with our stuff!

Next I will start on the kitchen where I have at least three of every single thing from all of my prior moves, including an entire set of cobalt blue goblets (14) that I have been unable to give away. (Pay the shipping and they are yours!)


Last I will start on the closets. When there are only two of you living in a house, you take over the empty closets...all of them and fill them with more important stuff. The kind of stuff that has to stay in boxes which are never opened, so you forget what is there.

Stuff will take over your life. It will become the pack leader in compiling your list of how you want to spend your time. I have found maintaining stuff consumes too much of my day already. Stuff, begone, I say!

This was my son's bedroom when we lived in the rental house years ago.
He was trying to create a sound studio in one corner...there is way too much
stuff here.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my, you've posted my life story! I laughed all the way through it. After getting close to the lean look, our house filled back up. Now the yard is filling up the way the house has. I take a box to Goodwill every month, ha! I have eight fishing rods, including my Dad's salmon rods. Feeble excuse that it is, I inherited a ton of my Mother's "Stuff" which is mostly in storage boxes under the bed and in my closet, no fair. I did throw out the pictures I was certain the kids would throw out. Your goblets are tempting, but I'd have to send my someone my collection of birdhouses first, or the extra set of dishes, so I pass.
    Thanks for the delightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck getting rid of stuff.
    You'll feel loads better and very virtuous afterwards. And then, very soon, will come the day when that gadget you've just got rid of, would come in "handy".

    ReplyDelete
  3. STUFF took over my life in 1965, I think. I am trying so hard to get rid of some of it and not add any more to my home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly described my life. And 'stuff' is such a descriptive word.

    I have promised myself that I will get rid of a lot of stuff as soon as I am able to walk normally and not fall down. Please remind me of my promise, because I tend to forget stuff these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabor, you described me 30 years ago. Since then with 5 moves, I downscaled each time. Now with another move coming up - I ask kids each time they visit if there is anything in this home they want.
    They say I have done an excellent job of downscaling.
    But there are a number of outdoor and gardening items I want when final move takes place. I am still trying to decide if I want to give the stuffed pheasant away!!!
    Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello I'm Sarah and I'm a stuffaholic!

    When I moved into my rented castle from the family home (of 30 years) ..
    I left behind nearly everything.

    In 18 months I've collected so much stuff again.

    I do ...love bits of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post. How true for most of us. When we had the flood in our basement last October we ended up throwing out most of the stuff we put down there; things we probably would never use again anyway. Not that I am wishing for a flood upstairs but man, I sure could use some help on this level too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Groan. Stuff. I was trying to tell myself to "think" about everything I have carried into my house. How many shopping trips, etc.. and it all has to go somewhere. It didn't work. I still bring stuff in. Not much is going out.

    I have a set of cobalt wine glasses. There is just something about cobalt...

    Maybe I should fill one of those glasses and make a toast.."Here's to less stuff!" or "Here's to getting rid of more stuff!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. tabor, your post is such an accurate description of so many of us it seems! we moved here with almost half of what we have now acquired in a few years of living! i downsized significantly before the move to seattle - 3 piles called keep, donate, trash. we now have more than the atlanta abundance. no room in the guest closet for our "extra" clothes because boxes are stacked floor to ceiling there. this accumulation is simply overwhelming.

    hubby's garage is something i cannot even discuss with any words resembling good sense or reason. we can hardly walk through it, and the vehicles have never seen its walls! he is always working on it or so he says! it is a joke, sort of like the guest closet and the zillion bottles of body lotion i own which take up half the bottom shelf of one vanity! insanity never ends.

    i am so glad we are not totally alone within this hoarder's chaos in which we live.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who was it, George Carlin, who said 'Houses are just places to hold your stuff'?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you! Yesterday was a stuff begone day for me. I still have many things to go through, but at least I took back my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once read about about simplicity and I admired the folks in their "cottage-like" home owning less stuff and feeling lighter and freer because they got rid of all their clutter (aka "stuff").

    I have a playroom that looks more like a storage room at the moment, and with the kids out of school (and one week before I start the new job), I think it's time to donate my stuff or just throw most of it out.

    Your post is inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poetry of this day and stuff! They go well together as subjects. The Nightingale and the gilded one we want to own. George Carlin had it so right. We spend our lives getting it only to have it mostly all tossed away. We've been threaten for years over here to cut the cords and let it all fly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oceanwve11:24 AM

    The answer to stuff: Go to www.freecycle.org and find a group near you. You can post your 'stuff' that you're willing to give away and interested people will email you back saying when they're available to pick it up.

    And when you have the desire to get more 'stuff', you can post asking for what stuff you want and anyone having it will email you offering it.

    I've given away books, household stuff, clothes, and more -- and gotten plants and baseball cards for my grandson and other things to add to my 'stuff' pile.

    Great way to stay green.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have way tomuch stuff, so much stuff that I have no place to put the stuff. I have started to go through the stuff, but it's overwhelming. I know I would feel better if the stuff was gone or the stuff I am keeping was neatly packed away and had a place to live.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.