Thursday, May 07, 2009

You Will Not Leave Orlando Alive: The Rest of the Story

Our recent Disney Cruise was better than I had hoped, but as I indicated the departure was more adventurous than we had anticipated. (Get some coffee as this is a looong story.)

I will begin with the facts. There were 14 of us on the trip: 5 grandparents, 4 parents and 5 children. One set of the grandparents and all other parents and children were staying on in Orlando for a few days. We and another grandmom had flights out the day the cruise ship docked. The New Jersey grandmother's flight was mid-day and ours was 5:00 PM.

The traveling grandparents had hoped to catch an earlier standby flight, so at 9:00 we headed for the airport in our two vans, one of which was rented, and both packed to their brims (and overflowing) with luggage and children in car seats.

Arriving at the airport, we said our goodbyes to the various folks in the two vans and gathering baggage the three of us headed to the ticket line. It was VERY long, but when we told the airline personnel that all three of us were looking to grab earlier flights she moved us to the very head of the priority check-in line! We all got checked in as standbys and we separated from the other grandmother who was flying to another city and then headed to the security.

Things started to unravel while standing in another long line at security when my hubby remembered he had forgotten his small black bag in one of the vans. It had his cell phone, day planner, etc. Our kids were flying out in three days so we guessed that they could check it or carry it for us on their flight. We couldn't call anyone because my cell phone was dead and I had forgotten my charger. While waiting in line, hubby realized he also had his car keys to our big car in that bag. A small sour fear emerged as we saw ourselves arriving at our airport and not being able to get into our car? In a panic we left our place in line and found an Internet access place and tried to send an email to daughter but remembered her blackberry was also out of power. We would try to email my S.O.L., but after logging into my hubby's email, realized we did not have the S.O.L.s email address in the email address folder. (All this time the little money charger is ticking away at the bottom of the screen making us even more irritated and panicked.) I tried to log into my email, but realized my provider had required a recent change to the password and I couldn't remember exactly what I had changed it too since I auto log-on from my home PC. The little counter like a deranged clock was continuing to tick away...$2.00---$5.00---$9.00!!

Then some of hubby's brain cells activated their cell connections and he exclaimed "MAZDA!" I looked at him and realized that the car we had parked at the airport was the smaller one and I did have the keys to THAT car. We stopped the ticker.

We got back in what was now an even longer security line. While standing there, hubby pulled out his passport with the standby ticket inside and immediately realized he did not have his driver's license! He had used it at check-in and at the pre-gate...where was it? Again we pulled all of our bags out of the security line--we were getting so good at this-- as he ran across the airport and back to the first check-in area. The day was moving on without us and it was almost noon. The security lines were now snaking their way into the empty spaces in front of the stores as huge crowds were leaving Orlando.

Finally, after fifteen minutes had passed, hubby returned, sweat dotting his brow, and with driver's license in hand! By now all hope of going stand-by on the only two prior and fully booked flights was nil. We decided to eat an early dinner at the Outback Steakhouse in the terminal and then head for our gate. We boarded our flight without further incident (after all we had arrived at the airport 8 hours early)...BUT the gods of travel were not done screwing around with our family just yet.

The rest of our group that had stayed on in Orlando left three days later. Two groups of parents and children were flying out and the grandparents were driving their car back up north with most of the baggage. As my daughter's family was the last to check out of the resort she noticed a medium black bag remaining in the apartment. She checked and found this was the bag of the OTHER grandfather that had now been forgotten. (What is it with grandfathers anyway??) The bags owner was eating breakfast not far from the area and using her husband's cell daughter called them about it. They asked if she and their son could drop it off on their way to the airport. Since daughter's family was running only 10 minutes behind, they did so (!).

Well, needless to say, that ten minutes was the most important ten minutes of the entire trip. The lines on Sunday afternoon at Orlando airport are phenomenal. Upon finally getting through security daughter and S.O.L. grabbed toddlers, bags and all and ran to the gate arriving 10 minutes before departure and finding the airline policy was the gate closed at 10 minutes before and absolutely no boarding was allowed after that. (It was in the small print on the ticket and this is how they meet their departure times.) Yes, they had missed their flight and the airline was not sympathetic to their problem.

My daughter is a whiz at blackberrying and using her husband's device she tried everything to get a flight. Nothing was available until the following day and she ABSOLUTELY had to be at work on Monday.

So they called the grandparents who were driving home and explained their problem. These grandparents, who were now two hours north of Orlando, turned the car around and picked up the family of four and all of their luggage and crammed everything into the now overstuffed van. One would think that the day had been saved...but this was not so.

Outside of St. Augustine the van broke down. Smoking and belching strange smells it came to a complete stop beside a very busy highway and far from anywhere.

Now the scenario involved calling for a tow truck, taking the van to a garage, and since the van parts would not arrive until the next day, checking into a hotel for the night. The greater problem was that the tow truck driver could only take two of them leaving the rest with small children beside a busy highway. Well, this would not work for daughter who ABSOLUTELY has to be at work on Monday--I think I mentioned that. So, daughter and family spent busy time calling for a rental car and ended up driving non-stop all day and all night to their home. Arriving exhausted they unload the car and returned it and she headed into work ...an hour late...but where she was supposed to be.

Kind of takes the rest and relaxation part out of the vacation doesn't it? (Long story, and I didn't even tell you about the canceled flight and plane mechanical issue on the replacement plane that the other family had to deal with at the START of the vacation!)


12 comments:

  1. Oh my good god! That is horrible. It gave me heartburn just reading it. That stupid ten minutes ruins everything. Now I know why we hurry, hurry, hurry everywhere. Ten minutes can really make a difference.

    The stress level of everyone must have been off the charts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stress level at the moment is rising this early morning after reading this. You are strong.
    I think I will just stay in the country "if I ever get there" and shut the front gate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that takes the prize for being the most horrible travel story I've ever heard about. I wonder if any one you is ever going to be willing to travel again?


    Tabor, I fixed my post, so come back and read all of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you see why I never go on vacation...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh is your blood pressure ok? Must have been awful for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like the least relaxing vacation ever. I suspect you'll just go fishing or something next time. Glad everyone made it home safe and sound. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This sounds like the 2009 version of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles!"

    My heart was racing all the way through this post. I (so badly) wanted a happy ending!

    I'm glad everyone got their belongings and made it through this ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, glad your home safe. Sounds like you need a "stay-cation" to recover from the flight. This is the record worst story I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A tale of challenge and resourcefulness and a tribute to t your extended family who clearly extend themselves to support each other. Traveling is more challenging these days...the lines..having the right papers in hand at the right time, the shoes on or off at the right time and the where did I put my ID bring out the stupid in me. This was a great post! And just think, this adventure will be fondly remembered as family folklore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, dear! well, i hope whatever was happening at work that resulted in such a night of turmoil for your daughter was worth all the exhaustion!

    planning - it is all in the planning. glad you are all home now safe from the traveling woes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a vacation once where everything went wrong from the moment I left home until I returned. It was a vacation from hell.

    I have a well traveled friend who pointed out that those kind of trips are the ones that give you great story telling material. (No one wants to hear about a fun time.) I hope this is of some consolation to you for the stress you had to endure.

    Even so, it sounds like all of you now need a vacation from your vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.