Sunday, March 08, 2009

A Dear Old Coot


I think one of the biggest surprises I have discovered in blogging is how one can grow to love and admire another blogger. Some become like a brother or sister. When I first started blogging I went to Gene's blog and after reading his funny and somewhat shocking post (as were all of his posts) I started to leave my first comment. When I found that I was going to be number 36 or 38 or whatever, I almost didn't post anything. I figured he was so popular...who would read down that far?

I am glad I posted anyway, because he told me he was glad I had commented and that I should never feel bad about being the last to post. Throughout the years there was a little contest among his readers about who would be the first to comment on a post. I continued to read his blog after that. He was sometimes a little shocking for me, but always with a great sense of humor. He was like that relative you love who always has to tell a dirty joke at Thanksgiving dinner just to see the reaction. Yet, he would return and comment on my blog at various times with a joke or encouragement.

I reviewed his blog on my blog roll comments posts when I used to do that before my blogs-I-follow list got so long.

He passed away yesterday and I will miss him as if he was my good friend. Oddly, I had just visited his blog yesterday in hopes that he would be back in good blog form. I stole the photo from "Vicki" who was a much closer friend than I, but I do not think she will mind.

Rest in peace you dear old coot.

8 comments:

  1. it's so amazing that even blogging can connect people with the same interests...

    may his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tabor, I was reading your blog and smiling about Gene and planning to read his blog and bookmark him. I thought of ways I could beat everyone to read his blog first and then you said "he died". I almost cried because in a few short lines you had made me really like him and feel sad that he was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is as sad when we lose a blogging friend as it is when we lose one we see in person. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabor, I just checked the properties on my blog listed in your blog roll and think I know why you are unable to connect from there. If you edit it by removing everything AFTER the .com/ it should work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for the loss of your blogging buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all going to miss Hoss. He was one of the first people who consistently commented on my blog or emailed me, and I was really missing him already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've lost a dear blogging friend and I was devistated and shocked at how much we feel in this community. Bless his soul!

    I bet he told a joke at the pearly gates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear you lost a blogging buddy. I hope that he is resting peacefully.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.