Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thursday Thoughts #21 --- Wardrobe


While I am not a style maven and many people who know me will agree, I do think the praise over Michelle Obama's inaugural wardrobe is a bit hyped. I tend to like sophistication and simplicity or drama and elegance for wardrobe selection on important occasions. Jackie Kennedy represented the first and Nancy Reagen the second. I think the tremendous support for Obama is giving Michelle a bit of a pass with their praise in her wardrobe. I am not awed by what she wore. (But none of this is important in the grand scheme of things anyway.)

I haven't ridden a horse since I was 11 and yet I seem to be enthral
led by cowboy boots. They are practical and comfortable...but expensive. I got these beauties for Christmas and have worn them twice. In second photo Xman must have one of my wardrobe genes as he stole these from his grandfather who also has not ridden a horse for decades.

I wish I would have had this outfit below, when my little ones were the age where Mom was still the primary source of sustenance. It is called a h**ter hider and only other mothers know what is going on here. This is my sweet daughter in Williamsburg a year ago.

We have little, if any, snow in our area this year. The weather woman said a few mornings ago that she was going to start a snow-watch. She wanted the children who watch the show to put their pajamas on inside-out and backwards and do a little dance before they get into bed each night! I guess that "wardrobe" is an elective subject in getting a meteorology degree. (Since I started this post we have had an icy snow storm plummet the area. Who knew that weather women and their junior fan club had that kind of weather-power?)

My 'cruise' wardrobe planning is going slowly. What does a white...really white...elderly woman wear on a 4-day cruise? I frequently wish I had Harry Potter's cloak of invisibility . I do not want to hide how I look, but how cool would that be for taking photos of everyone?

Another of my holiday gifts was lounge wear. I got tired of hanging out in faded sweats and yesterday wore a holiday gift --- a lovely soft pink velvet outfit...pants, shell, and hooded jacket around the house. I was doing laundry, cooking, and most importantly keeping a warm fire going in the evening. By bedtime as I changed into nightwear, I realized that I would have been better off wearing the faded and stained sweats. Housework is not for sissies.

In my twenties I wore 5-inch heels, in my thirties I graduated to 4-inch heels, my forties 3-inch and my fifties 2-inch heels. Today I wear comfortable bedroom slippers in the cool weather and go barefoot in warm weather and it seems that one's feet stretch when not routinely confined in shells of leather. I have learned that my feet do ache when wearing some shoes in my closet when I head into the city. Lately I don't get my bra on until midday...from what I have learned about shoes.,this does not bode well for the future. (Not that I need a bra !)

9 comments:

  1. Having newly discovered boots my love of footwear has just begun. Years of high heels destroyed my feet and the minute I walk in the house, my shoes come off....that is until my new Roper boots. I could sleep in them. Yes, they were expensive, but well worth the price for comfort and sturdyness. If I ever have to return to the workplace, I'm insisting they allow me to wear boots!

    This is a wonderful post and caused me to relate to all the things you had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen asked about the missing letters in this post when she replied on the prior post. The missing letters are oo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When in Japan, I went to my favourite clothing store Uniqlo (that now has a few branches in London) and found that there is a completely different array of clothes from country to country.

    I bought a "home set" which is a loose top and sweat pants in a cosy velour for winter, with a gay Nordic motif on the top. Even though I bought the largest size, the top is a tad on the skimpy size. But I do enjoy the fleecy mulberry coloured trousers around the house. But I have never seen anything like that in the trendy London stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What does a white...really white...elderly woman wear on a 4-day cruise?"...Anything she wants! You only live once, and you don't know anyone, live it up, have fun and make it memorable. But make sure you wear the cowboy boots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL.....I would wear Crocs day and night for comfort. I can walk in them, or stand for hours on end and my feet do not ever hurt. Never worn cowboy boots myself.

    Cruise wear is similar to summer vacation wear, but you have to wear a dress to dinner (at least we did when we went on a cruise in the early 90's).

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, one thing is for sure....we WANT cruise pics no matter what you wear! we want to see you being lovely and chic. and, you will be.

    i totally agree with you about michelle obama. i didn't like the red dress on election night, and only liked inauguration day/evening attire so-so. she looks fabulous in a light golden coffee hue. i saw her once in an evening dress of that color, and her skin literally glowed -she was gorgeous. the white dress was not appropriate for dancing. it was an issue all night. that should have been dealt with in the design since dancing occurs at every ball.

    love those boots. fun! this entire post was great fun to read. i am with kenju...it is crocs for me - almost everywhere. with socks in winter and bare feet in summer, crocs are the best thing that ever happened to my feet! i have not worn heels since i was about 40. now it is a lightly stacked heel if i have to go to a wedding or funeral. all other times it is CROCS!

    i love your daughter's bonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Welcome to retirement wear. ;0 I do the slipper/barefeet thing, but only wear a bra out. ( I need one!) That's why they rest on my gut.

    Hanes has an organic sleep pant I wear 24/7. Very comfy and look better than sweats.

    Cruise? Capris and v neck 3/4 sleeve t shirts would be my choice. Pedicures feel and look nice.

    I thought that yellow dress on our first lady was butt ugly. :0

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both my husband and I wear Western boots. He is a truck driver and that is all he wears.

    What's a bra? Oh, that thing I put on when I go away? Gotcha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really behind in reading blogs. I used to love cowboy boots as a child. Now that I am old I search for shoes that don't make my feet hurt, the big bunions don't make for comfortable wearing of shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.