Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thursday Thoughts #20 --- Being Thilly


The recent time spent with my grandchildren helps me keep my perspective as I age.
  • When the first grandchild was born, my daughter asked what I wanted to be called...grannie? grandma? I said nonna which is an Italian way of saying grandma. Xman's version as he learned to talk converted this to Neeeena. My new granddaughter struggles with pronouncing nonna---now neeena--- and calls me nana. I feel like a fruit.
  • My daughter's in-laws wanted to be called Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop and my daughter now says her children do not have grandparents.
  • Sha, my granddaughter, was fighting a cold and some intestinal issues during the visit. When her mother said one afternoon, "Oh no, there she blows!" this meant one of two things, neither of which I will detail.
  • Sha spent many minutes each day with her nose pressed to the window to watch the birds at the feeder. That window now looks like some abstract art as it is covered in snot.
  • My daughter and I could only exchange short sentences due to toddler interruptions and got very good in talking in code as we tried to have adult conversations throughout the long weekend.
  • I continue to find little things as I clean the house...an empty sippy cup, a little ball, a lego piece and I have to take a deep breath so that I don't tear up.
  • The place at the foot of my bed where Xman's portable bed goes when he visits seems very bare after he leaves. I am just getting used to sleeping without the night light.
  • While putting on Xman's shoes for his departure I said that winter was very cold outside but I was sad we have not had any real snow yet. He took my face in his two little hands, brought his face close to mine, and looked me in the eye and said "You have to be patient, Neena. It will snow."

  • Chocolate cake works every time!

7 comments:

  1. I'm betting you're not going to wash that window off too quickly:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I bet you can live off those memories for a long time!!

    I wanted to be Nana, but the other grandmother chose that first, so I have to be Grandma. I once worked with a young woman who called her grandparents "gran-dear" and "gran-darling", which I think is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring me smiles this early morning. Share all of these memories. I am just plain grandma.
    Have a great day and I have fingerprints on my windows also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Oh, I love that ending! My nephews call my mother Nee. Some variation of Nana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things are pretty bad in the long-distance grandparenting world when we're jealous of a snot-slimed window, Tabor!

    I'm grandma and Philo is grandpa...our co-grandparents were already called Nana & PaPa by their older grandchildren so it worked out fine.

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved reading this. With only six months practising being a Nana (what will happen when she speaks?) I can empathise now. Specially as I had my grandaughter visit last weekend too. Precious times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! My cats leave nose prints on my windows, I guess they are watching the birds and maybe the squirrels.

    That watering can looks as big as Sha is. May time speed quickly until their next visit.

    And XMan holding your face in his hands was just priceless.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.