Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Little Secret

This next week I will be taking care of my grandson, Xman, since his Montessori school has closed for 8 days. My daughter took off from work last week for three days to watch him and when she asked us to take him this week, we agreed. It will save her money and we love the child, so, are more than happy to get geared up for the challenge. He is inquisitive, emotional and self-centered. He is physically active and has no fear. He finds joy in most things but can get quite unhappy when he doesn't get his way. I am guessing that without Dad or Mom or the 'other grandmother' to run interference for him, he will be more amenable to hearing a 'no' now and then.

I have my reservations on his homesickness level as this will be the first time that this 3+ year-old will be away from both parents and his home for at least four nights and five days. I know that it will be a good growing experience, but that does not mean we won't have down times. I am going out to buy some games and videos this afternoon as tranquilizers if needed.

Xman then gets returned on Friday of next week by us. Then my son's girl friend has talked him into coming down on Sunday and spending the night through Labor Day to spend time with us. My Secret is that, guiltily, I did not invite my daughter for this three day weekend as well, because I would really like some adult only time with my son and his girl. Hubby wanted everyone here for that three-day weekend, but I would end up doing most of the cooking and much of the babysitting and wouldn't get a chance for adult exchange and told him that. My daughter and I can rarely complete sentences with each other when both little ones are underfoot! Hubby looked surprised...but then when we have company he is...well, let's just say he doesn't notice why things run pretty smoothly.

I don't really like family politics.

5 comments:

  1. I think you are a wise grandmother and will look back on your quality time with your grandson with fond memories.

    I remember the times spend with my oldest granddaughter at that age. Your grandson sounds like the same type of child. There were some temper tantrums to endure, but watching a child with an inquisitive mind is a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have a wonderful time.
    Amelia is the same age as your grandson. Tantrums at home but never with grandma. At least not yet!! He will play by himself, some video time and some reading, singing and playtime with you.
    A wise decision about your weekend plans. I am doing something similar tomorrow. Sometimes we need one on one time with our children.
    Good Weedend Wishes being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "weekend"
    Wish you could correct on these comments. I am bad about reading them after I type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. If all my children and grandkids are here at one time, I don't get to talk to any of them - especially not the children. I enjoy more one on one get-togethers or 1 family at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand completely about wanting alone time with one child or the other. that is why I so enjoyed being with my boys alone on their birthday...if the whole family is together I do not get a word in edgewise....
    Good luck with the babysitting...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.