Friday, July 11, 2008

It is starting

We are now one for one as hubby has retrieved a tomato from the garden and today I get to harvest my patio tomato.


These photos should go on my other blog about the wonderful planet earth...but I am so excited that I have this little bit to share. Everyone from Earth Home Garden to East and West at Every Turn has been posting delicious photos of their bloomers far outshowing my humble efforts. My beginning perennial garden has been a struggle this year. I read somewhere that it takes between 30 and 50 years to get a decent perennial garden established and I do not have that much time! So I will enjoy what I can while I can! The photo above is a healthy achillea (maybe vista?) that adds nice warm color to the end of a flower bed. (The orange flag shows where a soaker hose lies.)

Yes, I am cheating, by including some annual container plants below.

Here is a small chaste bush/tree that seems to be deer resistant. When left in a clear space in full sun they become big and lovely like the butterfly bush and the bees love them.

These lantana are in a container on my deck where I had a lovely crowded cover of yellow pansies. These are now suffering from summer heat and therefore lantana will replace that.

This lovely fellow bloomed last week and the rabbit ate the stem and left it on the ground with about three other potential blooms! The plant now sits behind a wire cage and is allowed to bloom once again.

Moss Rose are always perfect on the south facing heat of the back deck as are the lovely purple petunias and sage below.

The guara, below, I planted last year and although it is now in the wrong place blocking the path,(covered with bumble bees which is not good for the insect phobic relatives) it will be moved and do very well in a few other places I have planned.

My tempermental hybrid tea rose gave me a lovely first bloom in the early spring. Later I battled with thousands of Japanese beetles in early summer and lost a half dozen other blooms (but now seem to have won the war this year with a beetle trap on the back of the house) and now it is giving a lovely full bloom.

Well, it isn't much but it does warm the cockles of my heart these days.




6 comments:

  1. 30 to 50 YEARS!!!

    Why didn't someone tell me that 25 years ago.

    Everything in your garden looks lovely.

    Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your excitement Tabor. We picked our first zucchini. Woohoo! Love your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so lovely, tabor! such vibrant colors and different textures. wow - look at those tomatoes! we are only now getting blooms. always behind in this northern climate.

    no worry about the perennial garden - that is NOT true. our gardens are only 3 years old and they are full and lush and abundant and very mature. it depends on how you plant, what plants you choose, how you amend the soil, fertilize, mulch, compost, deadhead, and prune. so many variables.

    i love that gardening is a job which is never finished...it is always about creating and re-creating. and you are well on your way, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost smell that tea rose. I have the same yellow lilies and lots of rabbits. I don't notice if they bother mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely flowers and veggies and lovely photos

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.