Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It Never Changes

Yes, I did do my 'chores' today. Cleaned out the basement and we (me---hubby won't part with anything!) threw away a ton of stuff so that my newly finished basement is more inviting.

But I also passed the afternoon watching Out of Africa. I cried and cried and cried. I cannot watch that movie without bawling my eyes out.
(Out of Africa even makes hubby tear up.) It will always be one of my favorites as the beauty of the photography alone keeps me coming back again and again, and I rarely find a movie that I will watch over again.

The movie says so much about how we fall in love and become part of that something (Africa) or someone (Robert Redford's character) that we love so deeply. This just doesn't work, because we bring our own ideas which bring changes and those changes attempt to change what we love, to make it better. And what we love is ever-changing anyway. And eventually we must say goodbye to it all.

Now it is your turn. What movie makes you cry?

5 comments:

  1. Sophie's Choice for sure. And Sleepers - and Deer Hunter. Though the last two are ridiculously violent ... the storyline breaks my heart every time.

    Out of Africa. You know, I don't know that I've seen it. Already told Ed to dial in Netflix and add it. Thanks for the tip. Sometimes, ya just hafta get a good cry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big fish and Sophie's Choice and Dr. Zhivago make me cry.

    I had never seen out of Africa until last night; it was on HBO and I saw about 45 minutes at the end, and fell asleep.I hope to see all of it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember what movie makes me cry. Some make me cry laughing. But, Out of Africa was always one of my faves too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I throw out everything and Dave hoardes...good balance. ;)

    I LOVE that movie! There's another movie about Africa with Kim Bassinger that I loved too but no name. :(

    The Theory of Flight
    Terms of Endearment
    Beaches
    August Rush
    Etc...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youngest Daughter and I both cried when we watched ET the first time in the cinema. Seems a long time ago now.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.