Friday, August 03, 2007

Waning Moon and Deer Talk

We are once again moving more 'stuff' into the house and arrived late. We headed out to dinner once we got here and then returned in the dark to be greeted by two deer (one a fawn) on the side of the road. When we got into the front yard, another deer at the side of the woods carefully and with confidence moved away from us in stops and starts staring at us as if he was trying to communicate. I decided to take the opportunity to talk to him and proceeded to explain that he was welcome in the yard, but it would be greatly appreciated if he restricted his diet to the wild food and not our planted ornamentals and vegetables. I don't know if he understood the English, but I am going to work on deer language.

I woke up at four this morning, perhaps eager and nervous to get my house cleaned and menus planned for company, or just my usual insomnia due to stress at work, but sitting outside on the deck and looking at the stars I entered the zen time zone. Far away from the land of deadlines and people needs and artificiality. Slipping into the quiet black velvet of the forest just as it is sighing itself awake, I have noticed that down here there is a showtime...somewhat predictable, but always mesmerizing. The frogs sing rhythmically to put me to sleep at night, they drift off and then the crickets are in full song in the early morning before the sun breaks the horizon.

This world goes on like this and wanes with the seasons and the moon. Even though everything is the same when I get here each weekend, it is all very different.


7 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful there to me. Anyplace that frogs and deer congregate is heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idylls of summer. Well written, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and to think soon you will be there every night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:45 AM

    I think dogs know the language of deer. Mine seems to. The spirit of your place sounds wonderful and like it will be very healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so very, very lovely -- I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I woke up this morning to a doe eating my roses not 8ft from my bedroom slider. I let her eat...shhh! Don't tell Dave! I talked gently and it looked as if she were listening.

    I bet you are getting antsy. ;)

    Thanks for your kind words, it really will be quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful piece of writing this is. Makes me want to get up early and go walking. Now mind you, I do, but not that early!
    I've enjoyed catching up on your posts this morning Tabor.
    So glad you enjoyed your guest-filled weekend, and loved the tale of Prince Harry :)
    Did you ever watch that movie before you sent it back? I had a giggle at Peruby's mix-up with the review. Very curious about which movie was actually reviewed :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.