Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thursday Thoughts #6--All About the News

1. There was a news special this week called "Hotties on the Hill." Yeah, it was all about the beautiful people that work in the Capital. Does anyone besides me find this really annoying, irritating and just plan STUPID!! I was guessing that there would be no one over 35 on the list, and while they didn't give ages, I was pretty much right. Clearly being sexy in politics can have its disadvantages if history proves anything to anyone who follows history. Most of those interviewed thought it was a 'career move' to be selected. Maybe I am just jealous because I was never placed on a 'hottie' list.

2. There was also a news item on vandalism of Hummers (the car - not the guy who sits behind you in church) in some local neighborhoods. Several vehicles were all but destroyed by what appeared to be metal bats (the sports equipment not some robotic air mammal). Theoretically these acts were linked to environmental passions. This was deduced by some graffiti scratched on the side of the car. I don't think breaking the law is going to win any points with those of us who really think the environment needs help.

3. The weather service keeps predicting major storms...never happening in my area. Must be REALLY localized stuff they have been talking about for days and days. My poor lawn is not even gasping anymore. It is just lying down and dying.

4. My television station has a blog site that asks you to vote for which news item you want to see. When did the decision on the news become a popularity contest voted on by the type of people that would vote on news stories? You're right, the voter is that guy who sits on his porch in the same T-shirt every afternoon watching the world go by and I am not interested in any news he is interested in. Or perhaps it is that high school student who wants more information on P.H. (I am not referring to the student's paper on battery acid, urine and drain cleaner.)

5. No, I don't think I will comment on the leaking of the latest Harry Potter book. I will leave this to anthropoligists and historians who will provide a better perspective 100 years from now.

6. OK, I admit that I am leaning towards John Edwards even though he is third on the ticket. That wife of his has faced death's door and is more honest than you or I could ever be and he loves her enough to let her take that ride. He has real values and is very intelligent and strong and has experience both in politics and negotiations. I would like to see a John Edwards/Barrack Obama ticket and I do consider myself a feminist. Feminists don't vote for women just because they are women.

7. I really think Soccer is a supercool sport (was a big fan when my son played it and my husband coached it---it is STILL soccer folks even if big bucks are not involved) and I thought it quite intriguing to watch onTV...more so than that smash and bam football. But I don't think Beckham and his exotic wife are helping...?

8. And this leaves me speechless (blog textless?).

9. On a final note my husband is currently negotiating a part-time job in Korea. He has a 50/50 chance of solidifying the project. After this news article I am thinking maybe spending part-time in Korea might be good for my health!

7 comments:

  1. Hotties on the Hill? I'd be mad to be on that list if i were serious about my job.

    Maybe there's a new group like PETA for people against Hummers. I'd join!

    I can't believe anyone would fight a tax on tobacco these days (except smokers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:07 PM

    I do like to crash with a People Magazine on occasion, but it's scary that I'm starting not to know or care about so many newcomers.

    I think so much of our culture is seeming like science fiction.

    There's a lot of peer pressure to read Harry Potter. To me it's just another Elmo thing.

    What will the news execs do next to make the news appear hip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe spending time in Korea would be good for anything, but I guess you know best. At least better'n me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I marvel at what passes for "news" each night. I find myself shouting at the TV or making snide comments or laughing out loud in shock and awe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, Amen and Amen! I watched a news channel the other day, my daughter turned around and asked me "Is this a news channel?" I was beginning to wonder, too.

    I strongly agree with the feminists don't vote for people just because they are a woman. This went through my head just the other day when my sister said she was voting for HER.

    Perhaps battery acid, urine and drain cleaner are apt adjectives to describe P.H. and V.B. (a.k.a. Posh). What a crock of cow dung!

    ~Peruby

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmmm...maybe you could start dancing more and find yourself as healthy in older age as the Koreans are - whether you live there or not?! ;-)

    thanks for the links.

    (i love the pic of your kids with the wildflowers.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really agree with these thoughts and I want to vacation in Korea now, Kauai can wait! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.