Monday, February 19, 2007

Microclimates

Looking at the scenery from the car window as we headed down to the 'house on the rivah' we were given an interesting lesson in weather patterns. Our starting point was bitterly cold and the land was covered in about an inch of white snow covered by a crust of ice---like a white chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bar.

After we had gone about 10 miles the snow disappeared and the land was covered in a silvery glitter with dirty mounds of earth peaking through the farm fields.

Then after another 10 or 15 miles the land was clear of ice, but the trees and shrubs looked as if they had been painted with silver paint. The sun was bouncing off the sices of the branches making it look like a forest of minimilist Christmas trees.

As we reached the last ten miles, the trees resumed their normal winter gray dullness but when I looked at their base I saw broken silver bits of glass beneath the branches in a circle like a round lace petticoat.

When we reached the river, it was frozen over and mirrored even more beautifully the various sunlight angles and shades of the late afternoon. At times the view from the window was a watercolor painting. There was a small pocket at one end of the river that had not frozen over and the geese were using this area as their strategic starting and stopping point.

(By the way, Weary Hag, is back. They always come back, sooner or later...hee, hee. It is nice when friends move back into the neighborhood.)

7 comments:

  1. I love your descriptions! The return of Weary Hag was an answered prayer for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Weary Hag. :)
    Great description of winter landscapes....dang but I shall be happy when springtime comes, pretty though winter can be!
    We are having a bried "warm" (ie, just over freezing) spell right now and I love it. Nice to be able to walk outside without it being actually painful.
    The upside of very cold weather is, when it gets anywhere a bit above "frigid" it feels quite toasty. 34F right now, I could practically be comfortable in shorts.
    Well except for that Hairy White Winter Leg thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brief.
    Not "bried."
    Sounds cheesy haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Winter Wonderland to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:04 PM

    How do you make the ice sound so yummy? Today was warm enough to go out and I was shocked to discover tree branches all over my yard from the ice storm.

    Weary Hag!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How vividly you describe the changing scene. I read your description just before heading into town - you could have been describing our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh thank you for the nice little link-ee-poo there. :)

    Your description of the drive reminded me a bit of my college days when reading Annie Dillard was like a vacation from my three-year-old even though she was just in the next room ... you made all the other stimuli in my house at present disappear as I read about your little trek. GREAT stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.