Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Who Would Have Thunk It?

Guests:
This Thanksgiving my daughter and son-in-law were on travel. My son was the only one who was going to join us for TG Day. I could have called some friends, but was too lazy. They were also thinking about calling us and didn't! So there were going to be only three for the big meal.

Location:
We could have eaten down at the house using the new kitchen, but I had to work on Friday so that was a long drive back at the end of the big meal that I didn't want to make. We could have eaten at my son's condo which has a larger TV to watch games on, but my son indicated he didn't really care ab
out the football all that much---Translation:" I don't want to have to clean the condo for you guys." We could have eaten out somewhere, but we took so long to plan that that option disappeared fairly soon. Thus, we ate at the apartment.

Decor:


Hubby generously brought home a bouquet from the market to brighten up the table. So not too much more decor needed for just two guys.

Menu:

In years past I went all out with the meal. I like to cook, hubby likes to cook and the kids even like to cook. So some made pies and side dishes and I would work on the turkey, stuffing and sweet potatoes and a special salad. Ah, but this is a lot of food to prepare for just three people in a tiny kitchen.

So this year we had 'take-out.' from Boston Market via the Giant supermarket. This box feeds 8 to 10 and costs $60.00. That comes to about $6.00 per person, the food is good if not outstanding, and there are leftovers and plastic leftover containers for everyone. All we had to do was reheat the meal in the oven and microwave.


I would never have thought of a Thanksgiving like this years ago. But I guess I am getting more mellow in my old age. Release the control, let go of the remote, put down that camera, hand over that turkey baster and just mellow out.

9 comments:

  1. Thats a great description, thanks - especially for someone who has never experienced it all. Hubby was in Florida last year with his sister. Fancy being able to buy it in a box, sounds wonderful. Go with the flow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:38 PM

    Sounds great to me as long as there's turkey and leftovers for a turkey sandwich ;) Sounds great not to have all the work too!h

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:13 PM

    I like this time of life with freedom to change rituals like this. Good for you. Mlof Full Fath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Release the control, let go of the remote, put down that camera, hand over that turkey baster and just mellow out"

    I love how you expressed it. Not easy to hand over control but it sure feels good when it all works out as yours did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the last line, and how true it is!
    It's more about being with loved ones, being thankful and having a nice time than getting stressed out.
    I went to my little brother & his girlfriend's house in Chicago...it was her very first turkey dinner and she cooked everything, including two pies. Five of us sat down to eat...about 30 minutes later everyone was stuffed and happy. Sara sat back and said - "That's it?! I've cooked for two days and we're done eating already?"
    It was marvellous and there were tons of leftovers and we had a great time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:07 PM

    Ah the simple life! Sounded wonderful to me. But I am guessing that next year won't be so easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That take-out chicken sounds like a good idea. I just might do it for Hanukkah. I'll still be making the potato pancakes from scratch, not ready to let that tradition go yet.

    As time goes by things change and we change too.
    What are you going to do, we have to go with the flow,

    Adjust, adjust, adjust - that's the name of game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also did that one year. It works. I used to say that phrase all the time: "Who would have thunk it?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:49 PM

    I'm with you. I wish we had the Boston Market around here. I like eating much more than cooking! I bet you even had leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.