Monday, July 10, 2006

Things

We are a culture that places so much value on ornamental and useless things. I have thrown away, given away, and sold more things than most people in the world own.

As I unpack, I find I still have hundreds of boxes of items that I have not seen since I packed them and stored them over three years ago.

One of the first boxes I came across was labeled for the master bedroom. Inside, among other items, were three silk clutch purses: red, purple and gray. There was also a black clutch purse with a faux turquoise stone on the clasp. Then there was a delicate white and pink beaded purse that I 'think' I wore to a high school prom. The thing about these purses is that I may have never used them more than once each. I am not a person who goes to formal affairs very often...certainly not after college. I don't know anyone who uses clutch purses anywhere.

Well, should I throw them away or turn them in for the office white elephant sale? I threw them into an empty box, and then, almost immediately, scooped them up again and put them in a smaller box. Why? Just in case I have a granddaughter someday. What fun for dress-up!

Gee, this is why I have so much junk!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I know what you mean. My daughter and I are cleaning out closets full of junk and old clothes this week. Goodwill never had it so good!

    I just loved playing dress-up with older siblings formal dresses when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girls (26 and 29) still come back home and raid the dressing up box. Its contents are worn outside the house, what's more. They are pounced upon with glee and taken back to big cities and high fashion! (but then some stuff in the box is genuine retro sixties and seventies, its been there so long!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh heh, I was thinking as I was reading this blog entry, Save them in case you have granddaughters! :)

    I agree though, we tend to collect things but there is usually a good reason to hang onto them. Although, if they are packed away in boxes and forgotten, it does make you wonder why you hang onto them. Like I should talk though. I have a basement full of boxes that I haven't opened in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:30 PM

    This is my least favorite thing to do, sort through stuff to throw out or give away. I inadvertently end up with many piles of "Maybes." At least I'm not a nicknack person, but if papers were nicknacks, I'd be drowned by now.

    I have one purse like that. It looks antique. And I never used it all. Bought at a yard sale I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A closet pack rat? LOL I give everything to good will and save very little. I sometimes regret that though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, these might be worth selling to a shop that sells vintage clothing! you may make a few bucks on them and someone else may think they are a treasure! i know the feelings you are experiencing. when i left atlanta and moved out here i had to purge in ways which made my heart ache. it felt cleansing after the fact, though. now we have collected as much as we got rid of! same old story...never ends! we are junk collectors - i am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.