Friday, June 23, 2006

Friday Flexing

This work week has been unnaturally long and demanding. I am not a bureaucrat and trying to fake it is killing me. I came from the world of education where there was a goal, a product, a reward. Bureaucrats work for visibility, power and god knows what else! Oh, yes, sometimes a little money. They also lie to your face. I hate working with people like that. Do they think I won't figure it out? I have a graduate degree! I am NOT an idiot. Maybe a little old and a little more passive, but not dumb.

So, I am going to string together my rants and flex my gray matter as therapy from the doldrums I am in so that I have a clean slate for the weekend.

1) Children push your buttons and don't even know they have that power. My son who lives 15 minutes from me and works 10 minutes from me, can manage to see me only once every ten weeks or so and never responds to my emails or phone calls---which actually have become pretty sparce on my part. I don't ask the wrong questions and he doesn't hate us; it is just a personality thing with him. I hate it and maybe I will kill him someday, if I stop loving him.

2) Energy and crazy ideas. I don't have them anymore. I dream but the body and mind ain't as willing as it used to be and that is why I am so thankful I have children. They rope me into lots of stuff. Grandchildren are even better.

3) My husband still has energy and crazy ideas. So, I accept that this is not an aging thing...maybe a menopause thing? Sorry guys. But I do have to rally the energy to put the brakes on him sometimes.

4) Global warming has me scared. I work with people who really understand its power. I used to work with another group of people 20 years ago who predicted this mess. I hate that people are so complacent about this.

5) I have to believe that what goes around comes around. This administration must reap the rewards of its efforts someday along with the rest of us.

6) I am once again living in a room of partially packed boxes. I have been here before. I think when I add it all up, the moves for myself, my children, and my mother-in law, the sum is at the very least 20 household moves. I can pat myself on the back for my resilience if nothing else.

7) Hubby is down at the house today washing the oyster racks and unpacking a few things. Last night was a killer lightning storm which kept us awake for hours, so he wanted to see how the drainage on the property was going.

8) And this just in...for more years than I care to count I have bitten my fingernails. I stopped (no effort on my part) several months ago right after the Hilton Head trip. What gives?

9) Gee, its Friday already. There is a light behind that gray cloud.

Post Script: Saw "Prarie Home Companion" last night. It provides the warm fuzzies you would expect, has outstanding low-keyed acting on the part of everyone, and HOSS would love the bad jokes sequence---all about P*****s, T and A's and bathroom humor. The other jokes were better, but this movie does have something for everyone. Sort of like an Our Town without the puritanical bent. (It helps if you are a Garrison Keillor fan, which I have been for years.)

5 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when you said "Maybe I will kill him someday." My sister has three children, one girl and two boys. The girl comes around all the time, etc..etc.., but the boys will stay away for weeks at a time. My Mom said the same thing about one of my brothers. Rarely saw him.

    Weird about the nail biting habit stopping. I suppose there is some fancy psychological reasoning behind it, but good going. Paint them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never was a truer word spoken than 'A son is son till he gets him a wife.
    A daughter's a daughter for the rest of her life.'
    I have two sons, two step-sons, one step -daughter and various daughters in law.
    It 'aint the same as a daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see it, but I got a lot of bad jokes already, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't miss the bureaucracy at all, and global warming terrifes me - appalling that corporate greed continues, that the waste goes on and on and the slow rape of the planet endures. What sort of weary and depleted world are we leaving to our children? There are times when I think that if I was a little younger and healthier I would become an eco-terrorist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to 1-5!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.