Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Yes, It is Contageous

I live in the heart of the city with buses, mass transit and high rises that are a few hundred feet from my apartment door. Yet the brilliance of city planners has created acres of parks only a ten minute walk from where I am now living. Everything in the photos below is wild. I guess I do not need to worry about tending a garden this spring.

Below I share with you some of the fever of spring and I hope it is contageous.



I am big on fungus and drive my husband crazy when I stop and take fungus pictures. I think I like them because they hold still and you can get a good picture. The tree above was covered.


This fungus is particularly lovely and my favorite picture of the day.

This is the tree in full and you can see it was covered with fungus.


I think this is an anemone buttercup but am open to any botanical corrections.

We saw only two of these trees pictured above blooming in the depth of the forest under some pretty large oaks and beech trees. I have no idea what they are. Can anyone help? They didn't look like a dogwood and it is too early for dogwood blossoms. The flowers were about the size of a quarter and the tree was very sparce and not too tall. I couldn't detect a fragrance.


Here are some lovely Scylla and to think that I used to buy these bulbs by the dozens and plant them under my trees at the old house. Here at my feet there was a small field of them for free and in several shades of blue.



Well, enough fever. I will go get something cold to drink.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:22 PM

    It's very photogenic fungus. Everything is beautiful up close.

    The Radio essay was regional, so hopefully we won't get buses here trying to catch me weeding in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never look at fungus (fungi?) the same way again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:56 PM

    Blooming fungi. ;-) Seems like mother nature is a bit ahead in America compared to Stuttgart, Germany. I saw the first crocus today and some daffodil (?) / jonquil (?) the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah spring has sprung! Although we don't have anything sprouting yet. Soon... very soon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures of fungus were really quite beautiful...who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We call that flower anemone blanda in the UK, I am searching for one plant that comes up each year in a shady bit of my garden - but no sighting this year.

    And the white blossoms look SO familiar, but I cant pull out of my memory what they are. (will keep looking here for an answer!)

    Looking for spring here too, its four weeks late!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to get out in the garden to get some pix soon! You have inspired me. Loved the post.

    Spring is a wonderful time. I need the joy of rebirth right now to boost my spirits, so I spend a lot of time walking in the gardens and sitting outside on sunny days enjoying the view, listening to the birds, watching them and the squirrels. Nature is so glorious.

    Some of the smaller Magnolias are blooming right now. We just bought one called "Royal Star." It is in full white bloom at the moment, but these blooms are bigger than a quarter. There are many varieties in full bloom right now though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love fungus! Or is it fungi? No matter... it's all pretty neat and always original in design. Kinda like us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures. It is fall and the fungus should be in bloom!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.