Sunday, October 30, 2005

Road trip


They let me stop to catch a photo or two.

Here is a shot of the grape orchard.


This is the rockwall by the garden. Notice how it catches the heat in the late fall to hold the vegetable harvest.


There were a few grapes still on the vine.

Saturday was nice with cold winds occasionally moving gray clouds overhead causing cold shadows to cross our paths. My husband had to pick up the small outboard motor that had been repaired after taking a swim in the Great Dismal last weekend---another story. We (my daughter who has cabin fever and who's husband is in Vegas at a bachelor party for the weekend---another story and rude comment on my part) and I wanted to head out to the wineries north of us. We have never taken any wine tours or tastings and decided to hit three of the local places.

Between picking up the small outboard motor, and then having to find a grocery store to triple wrap the motor in heavy duty garbage bags because of the gas fumes (which oddly enough did not bother my husband, just my daughter and I) we ended up with a late day start. You would not believe how strange we looked by the side of a country road wrapping something the size of a small child in garbage bags. I am amazed that no one called Homeland Security and that we were not pulled over later. Several cars drove by as the drivers gave us odd glances.

The local wineries we visited are small places that have not yet developed a reputation. The character and flavor of the wines were as unpredictable as the weather. Sometimes we were cold and sometimes warm. The wines were sometimes fair and sometimes pretty mediocre, but we were having fun, so didn't really care. Everyone was patient and let me stop and take a few photos which I posted above.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I want to eat those grapes! And, that pond! I used to live in a farm house that had a huge pond like that. It was surrounded by pines though, not deciduous trees. That is lovely!

    Best wishes for a better week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful countryside. But, wait, did you catch any fish? I hate posts that can go on and on about wine and even a wine named Cool Fish and never tell me about the 35-pound salmon they caught. Pish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, fish. Actually the wines were so mediocre that we will not do this area again. My next wine tour is going to be in Canada. They have some interesting wineries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect drive this must have been. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (um, well ... perfect except for the gas fumes from the motor!)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.