Monday, September 12, 2005

Two photos fell to the ground. Life Story #1



I had just finished putting together a little photo album about my two weeks with my grandson. As I was moving some of the photo albums I have in my bookshelf, these two fell to the floor. Boy do they bring back the memories. I think the guy with the GREAT thighs and totally sweet personality was called Lazarus, if I remember correctly. He was an elder selected as our guide and was helping my husband and I get some drinking coconuts since we had gotten thirsty while touring an area for an environmental study on a possible reef airport. (The reef won, thank goodness! That story involved an angry native and a spear and danger...another blog for another time.) The second photo is me standing next to probably a million dollars--that will never happen again. These giant doughnut shapped stones are money on the island of Yap. They represent a family's wealth. They come in all sizes, but this one has to be worth a LOT! Nice memories of a long time ago.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really fascinating! Talk about something that is worlds away. I ended up Googling 'Yap' and I've been reading up on their culture. Very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as though Lazarus is trying to knock a coconut onto your husband's head. And, it looks like your legs disappear from the knees down.

    I guess that stone is better than money in the bank? Not much chance of anyone stealing it, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked back at your legs in that first picture (at Peruby's prompting) and it DOES look like that at first, then I realized you were standing in a sort of gulley, no?

    Great pictures... you must have some amazing stories to tell from all your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, an intersting side story is that I arrived on this hot tropical island off the plane dressed in short-shorts. By the time we checked into our little hotel, we got the message that while the men can dress in those little diapers and women can expose their breasts womean MUST cover their thighs. Therefore, the white jeans.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.