Monday, August 01, 2005

Holding on to junk

I got a kick out of reading manababies struggle to simplify her life while preparing for a move and the sale of her house. She was writing about how old things (that are totally worthless) have memories attached that make you want to save them, instead of tossing them out. Manababies memory was attached to a piece of clothing -- a pair of old boxer shorts.

This is amusing to me because my daughter went to an O.A.R. concert the other night with our young cousin. While at the concert she remembered an incident when she was a pre-teen. One of the OAR singers stayed at our house with my son as a ten-year-old many years ago. He accidentally left his boxer shorts. Boxer shorts were all the rage then for 12-year-old girls, which my daughter was. So she put them aside hoping Marc would never ask for them, which he didn't and she decided to keep them. She would have been too embarrassed to go into the boys/men's department and buy male underwear of course.

Well, as one would expect, she no longer has these shorts--nor post pregnancy could she fit into them if she did-- but her cousin, who is a very young twenty-something, was most impressed when she learned this at the concert and wished that my daughter had saved the shorts. One person's treasure is frequently another person's junk and that is probably one of the primary things that keeps E-bay going strong.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:12 PM

    Sounds a little like the time I met the Red Sox player, Carl Yastremski when I was 20 and my son...19 years later asked why I didn't get an autograph for him!

    I have to confess that I tagged you for a meme. Check it out when you can if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have wanted those boxers too! But then I remember having all those concert t-shirts that I could never let go of even if noone of remote celebrity status ever touched them. Thank goodness I'm over that phase. In college I found my old Duran Duran concert t-shirt in the rag bin along with the other pieces of cloth used for dusting and washing the car and I didn't really care, surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.