Saturday, January 17, 2009

Life Stories #23--The Mark, the Patsy, the Dupe


Years ago, when I was living in Indonesia, I spent much time discovering many wonderful temples and architectural wonders in this exotic country. One of my very favorite places to visit was the famous Buddhist temple of Borobudur, "a mountain of a thousand statues." When it had been excavated and the jungle cleared by the British governor, Sir Thomas Standford Raffles, the temple was open to theft and destruction over the ensuring years and that can be seen when touring the temple.

After newly arriving in Jogajakarta, and once the rainy season had slowed and the muddy roads had dried, my family and I went to visit this famous temple for the first time. This temple is one of the most visited Buddhist temples by tourists from all over the world, and can be quite crowded most days. There is a narrow initial entry, and as we approached the steps, the ventura effect of the narrower entry with the wave of many tourists caused us to be pushed closer and closer together until we were shoulder to shoulder with many others. There was a young man in front of me assisting a frail elderly woman make her way slowly up the steps. The crowd flowed around me on either side and as I was pushed forward into the couple tried very hard not to knock them to the ground. The elderly woman was barely able to make it up each step and it was impossible for me to get around the pair and so I accepted my fate of inching upwards. People kept pushing me from behind and it took all my energy to just maintain my balance.

Finally we reached the plateau above, and the crowd dispersed and I could breathe again. I pull the canvas bag from off my shoulder where its weight had caused some strain and that was when I notice a clean razor cut in the side small pocket where my wallet of Rupiahs and my International driver's license had been stored. I knew immediately when and how it had happened and did not bother looking for the team of thieves.

Several years later I was vacationing with my husband and children in Spain. We had arrived a few days before in Madrid and were getting an early morning start for a drive to the ancient city of Toledo. Hubby was having some health problem, which I cannot recall, and so we parked the car at the side of a lovely tree-lined street and he walked across to a corner pharmacy. I waited in the rental car with the two little ones in the back seat. The early morning light was lovely and golden as it filtered through the trees. A young and very attractive man stepped out of the nearby alley ahead of the car and leaned against a brick wall and smoked a cigarette enjoying the morning. A middle aged couple, just beyond him up the sidewalk, were sauntering arm and arm towards us lost in each others company. In less than three seconds as they passed the man he had removed the purse from her shoulder. She let out a small scream and tried to hang on, but was too slow in reaction. The man disappeared down the alley with her purse. The couple ran after him, but he evaporated into some well planned escape route. By the time hubby returned to the car with his curative, I had decided to be far more alert the rest of the day.

Again, several more years have passed, and one spring afternoon I had left my work for a meeting in downtown Washington D.C. It was April, the Cherry Blossom Festival was in full swing, the weather was wonderful, and I left my meeting early deciding to play hooky the last hour of the day and walk under the Cherry Blossoms at the end of the Mall. As I crossed the Mall a woman of about 35 approached me. She asked if I knew where the Metro station was. I was slightly suspicious but pointed the way. Then she asked if I knew how much it would cost to go from point A to point B. I told her that they had posted the rates at the station and again started to walk away.

She immediately began to follow me and launched into a long and detailed story of how she had passed out from some illness the night before at a restaurant, had been rushed to the emergency room of a city hospital, had called her sitter that night to watch over her daughter, and had just been released this morning. Her Priest had sat up with her all night and both were relieved when her illness proved to be minor. Her priest had just dropped her off to take a metro home and she realized that she had absolutely no money in her purse. Did I have any dollars to loan her? She had to get home and release her sitter.

I stopped in my tracks and studied this very intelligent face. It was a very compelling story and I cannot replicate the skill with which it was told in this writing. But, even though I knew this was a scam, there was something making it hard for me not to believe her. I took a breath and then looking her in the eye, I told her she should go into acting. She said something to me in response that I cannot write here. But the little Catholic woman had learned some pretty saucy language outside of her church. She stomped away already looking for her next victim. Had she broken into tears, perhaps I would have given some money.

And then just a few years ago I had blogged about this little incident.

7 comments:

  1. Amazing! I have never been a victim (while on the street). I have become careless. This is a much needed reminder. I try to be careful about leaving my purse in my grocery cart while I walk two feet away to pick something up. That is the latest gimmick in my town these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of lessons for all of us in this very well told and fastinating post. I'll link this next of my "ILYB".

    Raised as a daughter of the local pastor I learned every trick in the book considering con-artists. Most are excellent actors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD stories!!

    I have never been the victim of anything similar, but my daughter was approached recently in a parking lot in No. VA and told a story about a young guy, trying to get home to see his dying grandfather, etc. She actually gave him $30 and her phone number!! He, of course, promised to pay her back - but she has not heard from him....LOL
    Her father was livid that she'd fall for that trick!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been a victim but I have had some try to take advantage of me and it did not work. When I lived in my small town - from time to time someone would approach me and say they needed money for food - I usually told them I needed help on my farm - but they always made an excuse. Great Stories. What travel memories you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granny Annie...not sure if I remember what ILYB stands for...but thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. reminds me of my young days in social work when twice someone tried to steal my purse. the first time i held on tightly and played "pull the handle" with the young black male who ultimately lost the battle. i was very proud of myself but later realized i was lucky i had not been hurt and should have let him have it.

    another time i managed to keep my purse, too, and then screamed so loudly that the groucery manager locked the door hoping to catch the 2 guys working as a team but not before they had gotten out the door. their scam: one guy distracted me asking me how to bake a cake while his buddy came down the aisle from the opposite direction to take my purse from the cart. i saw the eyes of male i was speaking with as he looked beyond me and quickly turned around before i became their victim. then i started cursing like a sailor, angry that they were trying to take advantage of me while i was trying to help. i learned some valuable lessons in my early 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm usually quite carefully but was victimized just yesterday at my cousin's house!

    I was there for dinner. Her daughter was out and the two of us had a nice evening. When it came time to leave, I noticed that my purse was considerably lighter than usual. My wallet was missing.

    I had taken it out to put a slip of paper containing a phone number in it, but I was sure I had put the wallet back in my purse. Her house is not cluttered, and the wallet wasn't in any of the logical spots. Finally we took a look in her dog's crate. He had stolen my wallet and taken it to his bed.

    I didn't press charges. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.