Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Big Event


The past few days have been an exciting lead up to one of the most important days in the history of our nation. The BBC is setting aside 5 HOURS for this event, so I do not think it is hyperbole to say it is a very significant time in our history. This is one of the most anticipated inaugurations in our nation's history and also one of the most protected. I will not detail the 3,000 restrictions that are being placed on attendees including carrying nothing larger than a lunch bag to some of the areas. My lovely daughter and her two children are fleeing the area and joining me at the house late Sunday night through Tuesday evening...or perhaps staying until Wednesday morning. She is not going in to work on Monday or Tuesday. Why is this, one might ask?
  • The highway and bridge she takes to get into work will be closed as will every other bridge in the immediate area.
  • The garage beneath her office where she regularly parks, which is about a mile from the Capital, will be closed to the public.
  • Everyone will be forced to take Metro or a bus or walk. (The Metro is a VERY crowded trip on the 4th of July when there are fewer people coming to the city.)
  • The events begin Sunday and go through Tuesday.
  • There will be hundreds of celebrities.
  • They are predicting 4 to 5 million people will attend. It will be miserably cold, so I am predicting about 2 million people.
  • Someone said there will be 5,000 port-a-potties and an 'expert' analysis said that is not near the amount needed. (That should be fun in cold weather.)
  • Every hotel is full and some folks are renting their apartments for $1,000...my son, whose apartment is walking distance from a nearby metro station, considered this but then got cold feet as the day grew closer.
  • There will be great concerts...some free and some requiring tickets.
  • There will be a parade...a very cold parade unless you are marching in it.
  • There will be 10 inaugural balls (and no place to sit at these balls if one wears high heels.)
  • Therefore, even those attending will have to brace themselves for a challenging event. My daughter is afraid she won't make it to work...much less make it home to pick up the kids from day care on those days.
And thus, I will not have the courage to go myself, even though I think it is a big deal. I will raise a glass of bubbly to the big screen TV and wish him a decent first 100 days but not expect more than is realistic in these difficult times. (For a little more inspiration...go here.)

5 comments:

  1. I wanted my daughter to come home over the next few days, but she got tickets to the inauguration and is planning to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we wanted badly to go, but the crowds and the cold scared us away. i wish him the stamina and courage he will need the next 4 years and hope we continue to be blessed with his good insight, sound mind, and calm demeanor. i wish us all patience. it will take a long time to begin to crawl. "hope" - we have so much. it inspires and warms the spirit. it has been a long time. we will be glued to the television on tuesday...all day and night.

    hope you have fun with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your daughter and grandchildren. Like you I will be watching on the television with a smile on my face and probably tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It look great on TV. Canadian television stations carried the entire Inauguration and it dominated the News and morning talk shows.

    People looked very cold but happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:54 PM

    But you are so close!

    I'm so tired for them. I couldn't never be first lady because I could never hold up that long!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.