Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Catch!

My breath that is...I am just trying to catch... my...breath.  I was looking forward to a break after the holidays, maybe daily bubble baths, maybe reading some books from a series...actually re-reading them.  Sipping a bourbon and soda while watching a Britbox mystery.

But even before the first cold snap of January, I found that my weeks were filling once again.  Doctor's appointments for both me and my husband,  a volunteer thank-you luncheon at the mission center, and pick up the Grand-dog in the city for a four-day visit.


This was followed by my laptop refusing to work and the purchase of a new laptop.  They are NEVER plug and play, so some of the stuff did not transfer as well as other stuff.  That meant a day (or more) of working out the bugs.

The next week was playing tag with a chatbot and various appliance repair people to have them fix the wheels on my freezer shelf which was still under warranty.  Then my sis-in-law suggested we add two days to the front end of our upcoming trip in March (that will be for the next blog) and I find have little patience for dealing with airplane websites...but ended up paying someone to assist.  That only took TWO DAYS.  Then I had to find the hotel and call them to cancel a reservation and make a new one two days earlier.

Master gardener meetings and an educational seminar, etc. filled the evenings.

This week is stuffed with planning excursions for our March trip, assisting my husband with a talk he insists on giving at the Senior Center, and finally being around for a friend who has been laid off and needs a job, and thus I have lots of painting and patching for him to do in this not-so-old house.




Oh, one thing I forgot was I am starting to label some of our light switches.  Hubby's dementia means he spends time flipping switches but forgets to flip back if they are not what he wants.  



He still drives, but when that ends, my life as I know it will be very full as he loves getting out and about.

Ok, your turn.  And you had better come up with something less tedious.

10 comments:

  1. Just tedious cold weather here. I wish I still had the desire to travel. What we’ve done is all there will be I suspect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Get your rest
    Here, who does not like appointments, I have 2 in the same week. I sit and wait until it is time to get ready to leave. No distractions, no chores, just easy pondering life in general. I am finding the day after each other actually saves on anxiety because I'm already prepared for the 2nd appointment, and, riding on the success of the first. Other than that, the birds at the feeder area have been busy all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from a Costco run I put off as long as possible. It is always harrowing. I have a massage scheduled this Friday, and acupuncture next Wednesday. Now that I can drive (snow is practically all gone), I am getting those sort of appointments out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting a new computer up and running is not so easy although Mac people tell me otherwise. Canon no longer supported my scanner. Fortunately, I found a third party solution, but it did cost extra. Then I had to purchase the new version of my backup software to comply with Windows 11. I believe that's the 4th iteration of the program that I have purchased over the years. I have also decided to bite the bullet and order a new backlit and untethered keyboard. My present keyboard is probably more thana dozen years old.

    We joke in our house that my wife gets up at night and changes the light switches to gaslight me. It is a joke though -- well, mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm busy with work and the dogs here, so nothing new. During the 12 years we lived in our house in Maryland, my ex-husband never figured out which switches operated which lights. I hope your new laptop is working well for you. When I got a new laptop a few years ago, I charged it and when I opened it up, it spoke to me to tell me what I needed to do to it. That was lovely.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's life, isn't it? Ups and downs, boring days, exciting day, challenges and opportunities. I often find myself saying, "It is what it is." to help me accept the bits I don't like.
    I recently replaced the hard drive on my laptop as my lovely techy guy said it was a good machine, not to replace it. He copied as much as he could from the old to the new but weeks later I'm still discovering something else I have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, work holds steady here. There will always be more to do, I think, than can ever be done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the first time in a long time, I have no appointments scheduled except a Physical therapy session. Of course that is because I am apparently unfixable, but at least now I have time without feeling pressured, to do the physical work that will hopefully help me in the long run.
    It's nice to not feel time pressured now. I got out my sewing machine and I'm back to making quilt blocks. I have no plan for them. They are just fun to make, use up fabric scraps, and because I am not an expert seamstress, take lots of time to make. I have time. Oh, and I have more time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a nice visit with our son, who drove down from Oregon to spend a few days in the desert with us. Lots of good conversation and a chance to catch up on many topics. I did worry about his drive, wished he had flown, but he wanted a road trip and he's not a boy to dictate what he does *s* He's back at the farm now though, which, of course, has its own risks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. nothing exciting here. my days seem full but I'm not really doing anything. didn't even get to go to my three yoga classes this week because of the pouring rain.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.