Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Does Anything Stay the Same Anymore?


The older I get, the more I find myself fitting in the mold of an old doddering lady. I always pictured (hoped) that I would become the stylish, skinny, and upper-middle-class grandma; the one that was sharp as a tack and that everyone loved to talk to for a brief time.

Ha!  I wish I was skinny, certainly no longer upper middle class with this inflation, and while some days, I am sharp as a tack, other days I wander around in a fog trying to remember what I was planning on finishing before starting dinner.  Stylish is something I attempt about two or three times a year.  Most days I wander around in old sweatsuits, or jeans and a sweatshirt.

Yesterday we had to drive up to the city to visit our financial advisor at my husband's insistence even though I wanted to wait until after the holidays.  Hubby's dementia meant he could follow very little of what happened at the hour-long meeting, but hubby was right in that we had not met face-to-face in a few years and it did help personalize our relationship with our advisor.  This advisor is the son of our original advisor and has now taken over our account.  His father has retired and is now taking care of his wife through a long-term illness, sadly.  Hubby also was right in that we got to meet up for a quick lunch with our son and his wife.  Sadly we did not see the baby who was in daycare.

Since this filled the whole day, I moved my list of holiday and other things to do, to today.  Unbeknownst to me, hubby had volunteered to give a presentation in February as part of our Master Gardeners projects for the public.  They are given at the library.  I got cc'd in an email from the coordinator since hubby had not been responding to her emails and that is how I learned about the commitment.  I explained to him that I could not help with this before the holidays as I just had too much on my list.  

That was never going to happen as he insisted he had to start the presentation and download the photos from his phone today.  Well, there went the better part of the day!  I started to work on downloading photos from his phone (a different model and make than mine) and then have him attach them in an email to himself since my USB connection did not work with his phone.  I selected 8 or 10 photos and then asked him to go through that list and delete down to four in the attachment since the email provider would not transfer more than that.  An hour later, I thought he was deleting but he had spiraled down to somewhere else and was back selecting photos, or something as he would not show me! 

I am afraid I lost my patience as I had so wanted this day to get myself a little better organized.  I just now left him with his computer and then heard him calling someone on the phone asking how to get emails off of his phone onto his computer.  It may be my busy son who is working from home, I do not know.  But he will patiently take him through screen after screen,... perhaps.  Or he will tell him to call tonight.

Part of this anger is resentment, I know.  Resentment that he does not participate in any of the holiday preparation.  He says he "hates" shopping and therefore, never buys any gifts for anyone and has never done so even before his dementia.   He says he is not able to wrap gifts, either.  He is not a cook, but with dementia, I do not think he should be attempting any of the holiday cooking anyway.  Each year I have asked him to help with the holiday greetings that we mail, although I pull together the card design, and the list of addresses, and set him up at the table.  I have done this for years and he loves writing a message to friends and family.  Fingers crossed this year.

One would think I would be adjusting to this change by now!!  And those of you who are wondering why I am taking time to blog when I have so much to do...who knows...guess it is my therapy for the day.

Well, done venting, thank you for listening and I know...I know...the font is off again!!

16 comments:

  1. The first part of your post today was cute and I can relate, as seniors we don't want to be doddering and it could be cool to be stylish some of the time. I see you are needing a lot of patience as your hubby needs more and more of your care, that would be stressful for you and perhaps for him too. My husband died six years ago in November so holidays are full of mixed emotions this time of year. Mostly joy as attending church lifts my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a drain on your patience as well as your time. Are you thinking of maybe cutting back a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did anything ever stay the same?

    It's not easy to deal with what is on your plate now, i am glad you have a blog to turn to when the words have to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maintaining your wits with all that is a reward in itself. Fear of the loss you have in your face daily takes a lot of strength. When you need a smooth bit of control and relief, that fear can turn into frustration, giving the opposite of what you want, and deserve. Celebrate your strength, be good to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you have to stop and take a break from frustration and anxiety. It helps puts things in perspective. Take a few deep breaths. You’ve got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You DO have a lot on your plate. Venting is good; we're here. You might have to let friends and groups know to check with you first before really counting on commitments from hubby. Try to take time for yourself too. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we age, we need to trim our doings just a bit. Sue still puts out decorations but not as many. Once upon a time, she had two large toes on consecutive days but doesn’t any more. She may have a single lady or two once or twice. As for wrapping, bags are a godsend. Stick it in a bag and stuff some tissue paper in the top. And we don’t do grand feasts anymore. There are workarounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did the photo thing eventually get aorted?

      Delete
  8. I think you do a great job in a difficult situation. And I am happy you took the time to blog! Thank you, dear friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think blogging is excellent therapy. It helped me a lot when I was getting divorced. Even when a person has a dementia, when that person has not participated in certain activities even pre-dementia, stress builds over the years, as does resentment. When I worked in a nursing home, dealing with patients who had dementia could be described as working with toddlers or trying to herd cats. It was very difficult at times for me to keep from losing my temper. But when I finished work, I went home. You don't get a break so I think I have some understanding of the way you feel. I'll be thinking of you as I work today.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, feel free to vent to us. We are your fan club and online supporters. My husband is a wonderful help, but I do feel a bit of your frustration. I pretty much have to make all of the decisions, plan the colander and see that everything gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I simply don't do holiday stuff for the very reason you are feeling resentful about. It would all be on me, the decorations, the food, the gifts, etc. Plus, I'm not a christian, I'm not anything, just don't do religion. Once the kids were well into adulthood and the grandkids as well I simply stopped giving them gifts, told them presents were for children and they had aged out. They don't mind, it releases them from the reciprocating obligation. Which is how it felt to me, obligatory gift giving, not to mention the time and money, all too stressful. I prefer spontaneous gift giving.

    I'd like to be one of those flamboyant old people but it's just not in my nature. So jeans and t-shirts it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The way I look at it is this is your blog and you can post whatever you choose. I can really identify with the first half of this post and give thanks that I can only begin to imagine how difficult life as described in the second part must be. So you've served a purpose you didn't perhaps think about, you've made me realize I have so much for which to be grateful. Hang in there, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good you could express your frustration this way. It often can be hard to get it out without upsetting friends or families. I think that is one plus on the internet. Hope it helped *hugs* which I would do for real if we were closer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a difficult task there in helping hubby and getting on with you chores. Glad venting here helps. Feel free. We feel for you. My husband cooks our meals and puts out the bins. Apart from that he does nothing else. Never has bought presents or written cards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was cruising through the list of blogs that Mage kept and saw your name. I'd forgotten that your husband had dementia. I feel for you, but only as a kindred spirit will, who knows what your life is like. I'm still looking for an assisted living place for me with a memory care unit for Robert. I'm on an antidepressant and two mood meds to keep me from breaking down into tears at the drop of a hat. I will get through this, but reading about your husband just makes me shake my head--Robert was/is just like that. So strange. Take care and hang tough. I'll try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.