Wednesday, November 16, 2022

And...the Rest of the Story

My prior post on our trip to Pittsburgh provided a quick overview of a city that was once part of "America's Rust Belt". Pittsburgh was referred to as the steel city because Andrew Carnegie developed a process to make steel both durably and inexpensively.  There were many blue-collar jobs available at the turn of the 20th Century.  This is also why it was called the city of bridges which are so loved; produced through locally made steel.  


The steel industry is also why their professional football team is called the Steelers.  Along with this industrial success, there came tremendous water and air pollution.  Today the air is clear to the eye, but unseen microparticulate still causes days when breathing the air is unhealthy and they struggle to keep their air healthy.

The city has moved its economy to self-driving car manufacturing, robotics, and medical advances.

While we were there we stayed in the downtown area next to the convention center.  Our hotel was on a busy street next door to a Charter school for elementary children.  We saw them walking from one building to another on a mid-day break and all were minority children.  Full of energy.  If you want to know what a Charter School is go here.

We took an Uber to the botanical gardens on the second day and upon our return mid-afternoon, the Uber driver could not drive down the block to our hotel.  We waited a few minutes and then he made a U-Turn and went around a block to drop us off just South of our hotel.  It was only a block away, so we had no problem.

As I walked to the hotel, I saw the following:



At first, I thought someone famous must be staying at our hotel which is across the street from this news photographer.  But nope.  When I asked, it seems there had been a couple of shots fired into one of the buildings across the street.  Perhaps the building between the school and our hotel?  Needless to say the local pedestrians did not seem at all concern as they wheeled their toddler into the restaurant and we asked the policeman if we could cross the red tape into our hotel...which he let us do.  City life in America is indeed strange.

10 comments:

  1. I am glad y'all didn't get hurt. That is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And...we wonder why Europeans travel to the US is down. Who would want to travel for a vacation who has the highest rate of gun and otherwise violence in the 'first world'? It's the new US...the land of 'anybody can carry a gun', school shootings happen almost daily, highest mass murder rate in the world? I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info about Pittsburgh, I was favourably impressed until I got to the last bit. Yikes, I think I'd check out and leave town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so few places in the US that feel safe anymore. Guns proliferate and keep growing in numbers. I wouldn't visit the US if I didn't live here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we were in Pittsburg about 10 years ago, we loved it. Shooting are up everywhere. It won't keep me from going where I want to go, within reason. We can't live in fear of everything, but it would be nice to know what we could do about all of the guns and gun violence. Are there any good answers that are possible in this culture of ours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even as a Canadian living on the same continent, I would now be hesitant to travel in much of the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess the police tap in a neighbourhood there is not unusual! It would bother me, a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's horrible how accustomed to gun violence Americans have become.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That would have really unnerved me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sad that gun culture elicits almost no surprise anymore and certainly no outrage that I can see. There is so much that is admirable about the US but it seems that bad news has taken over.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.