Wednesday, January 08, 2020

This Is All About the Complexity of Shoes

I bought myself a gift of fancy boots for Christmas and I have to be careful and wear them only on dry days.  These shoes are pretty comfortable!  I still have some vanity, unlike the wearers of the shoes that I feature below.









The above photo (created with some digital alterations for mood) was taken this past fall. You may guess that it was photographed outside someone's home or an ancient temple. Those are two places where people remove their shoes out of cleanliness or worship.  It was taken outside the Canggu Monastery temple in Lhasa, Tibet, China.  Look at the shoes. I was studying this and saw an unusual variety in style and color, but they were ever practical. These are the shoes of Buddhist nuns. They must shave their heads and wear the red robes each day.  No need to decide what to wear or try to find something that fits that newly expanded waistline.  Maybe having that stress removed was one reason for the peaceful smiles that they all gave us.  You just have to decide on shoe style.




This photo above (painterly) was taken at the Canggu Nunnery in Lhasa.  The nunnery is open to the public.  In Buddhism, nuns can take on the same roles as monks in teaching, preaching, performing rituals, etc.  Although some sects are more strict than others.  (All religions seem to have some misogyny based on gender.)

About 100 nuns live here and the monastery has existed since the 12th century.  They make money by manufacturing items such as clothing and printed texts as well as donations.  The nunnery also runs a clinic and employs professional doctors and serves the local residents.  The nuns are loved and trusted by the local residents because of this.  They also run a tea and bun house, but I did not have time to purchase tea as I was off taking photos!

Now back to the shoes.  They are all very similar and practical.  They are easy to remove as the nuns must do this several times a day.  Yet some are a little more flashy than others.  I was wondering if a bit of their personality escapes through the shoes.  Are the shoes donated?  Are the shoes purchased by the sect?  Can nuns go shopping?  Feel free to enlighten me in the comments.

We also were able to watch them doing laundry.  If they had not been so sweet and gentle this might have seemed intrusive.  Here below is another photo that raises so many questions.




I look forward to your comments!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:26 AM

    Very interesting! The last photo...those boots don't look waterproof! The groups of shoes outside of the Temple look hardly worn...I guess if you take them off a lot they stay newer looking. Your new boots are beautiful. I bought myself a pair of western boots a few years ago (pretty brown and blue design) but returned them because I could hardly walk in them!
    They are quite nice looking though. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are interesting.
    Until I read where the photo was taken, I was thinking you had a party last summer. I'm guessing a nun might look for style, but fit is the ruling factor. I don't know if they go shopping or if the shoes are donations. I'd be shocked if they shop online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My younger son says that there is a Buddhist monastery near here, and he went to some kind of service there. Speaking to the monks, they told him a bit about their lives. It seems they are each given a small allowance per month for their personal needs, and they are not allowed to take personal donations from family, so everything they need that is not provided by the monastery must come from that allowance. He mentioned soap and toothpaste, and if it works the same way at that nunnery, it might well include shoes. Having to use a small allowance well to provide such things would be a reason to take very, very good care of your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the nuns' shoes, the variety of them especially. I cannot quite figure out what's happening in that last photo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nuns' shoes look comfy. That's my style. Your boots are beautiful but if I had them those boots would not be made for walking. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their individuality is in their foot ware —- up to a point anyway. We are a curious people in a curious world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The nuns' shoes look like ordinary Vermonter shoes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what gorgeous boots you bought! living in a monastery would seem to be a simple and gentle life, no worries about where you will live or what you will eat or if you will eat, no struggle for daily existence. I can see how that would be attractive but they also shut themselves off from so much of human experience I would think. and I don't get the shaved heads though it must be some sort of thing about vanity. or attraction since so many religious or societal rules in the world involve shaving the head or keeping the hair covered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I've never been too interested in shoes (or purses for that matter). I have a pair of Reeboks that I live in and when they wear out, I buy another - same color (white) same style (Princess). My feet seem to love them as I have no bunions, corns, or problems (foot wise) of any kind. I do have a pair of short dressy boots that I wear when the occasion arises, but the heals are not too high and I never wear them very long or my back will hurt.
    As for the nuns, I would think that they are probably free to buy their own shoes. And I would have checked out the tea and bun house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went to a Scottish Tibetan monastery in Scotland a couple of years ago, it is all very similar. I remember we had to take off our shoes entering the temple. Paul stayed outside, he wanted to know my reactions on entering. Gold, colour and exuberance was my first impression, and then I looked at the top monk meditating. He was so still, I thought he was a statue, and resisted the impulse to go and touch him to see if he was real. I have occasionally dabbled with the idea of becoming a Buddhist monk, but to shave one's head? no.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have boots but they are not fancy like those. Mostly though I live in sandals-- even in the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love your boots! And another look at what else is going on in the world, quirks and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those nun’s shoes definitely look comfortable and easy to remove and put back on. That’s what we look for in Hawaii too. I love that you went to Tibet. We would love to go there some day too.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.