Friday, January 03, 2020

Mind Mazes



Why do all of my most interesting questions, resolutions, ideas, and original thoughts happen at night as I settle in to fall asleep? I tell myself that the idea I am pondering might be a gem to pursue on my blog. My readers are erudite and outspoken and certainly could add something to the thought maze I have created as my mind misfires in the dark bedroom. 

Sometimes it is something I followed on the news while other times it is a phrase that captured my thoughts in one of the few books I am reading.  Other times it is an observation of human nature that interrupted my errands.

Then elusive sleep smothers my brain and I sleep the sleep of the half-dead, up a time or two and back to deep sleep.  The marvelous ideas evaporate with the disappearance of the morning fog on the river as the sun warms the air.

I am kind of glad because I somehow suspect that the thought that slithered off was something really inane.  Something of inconsequential importance or supercilious significance. If it had carried any weight, would it not have plunked itself on my chest as I lay in my bed in the morning demanding my immediate attention?

11 comments:

  1. Those kind of intriguing questions, resemble cackling cronies over a steaming cauldron. They cast a spell that makes us question ourselves while we laugh at ourselves. Its good fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good sense of humor.

      Delete
  2. Actually I think that 'some' of the ideas we come upon while at rest (or possibly anytime) are important, but fleeting. If we don't write them down or do something to remember them, they are usually gone and I wonder if it is an opportunity missed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's a really good one, it will probably come back. Your thinker didn't stop thinking. It just rested. Thank goodness we are allowed to rest our thinkers now and then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever the thought, at last you had it in the first place. I haven't had a thought for years now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't do that when I go to sleep but when I wake up at 2 am and can't go back to sleep. It's hard to shut down a mind maze but they don't seem mostly to be anything I can actually use for a blog or book. Just endless circles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My great thoughts are just as illusive, but sadly I have them while fully awake during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same thing happen to me. At various times of my life, I've kept a dream journal next to my bed. I sometimes would write down what I thought were great ideas, too, but they weren't. More ideas pop into my head in the middle of the night and sometimes I remember them. Mostly they are just brain foam. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I forget my best thoughts, too. The ones I use I get either in the shower or else in the morning when I'm waking up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happens to me too though not particularly when I am drifting off to sleep, just at some point of the day when I'm doing something else, the mind wanders and then I forget when I have time to write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I'm captured by thoughts that seem wildly interesting during the night I tell myself that my brain is wired differently when it's resting on a pillow, to wait and see if it survives the light of day. That way the crazy thoughts leave me alone and I can sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.