Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Do You Think It is Old Age?

Hubby got a funny little cough about 12 days ago. It was infrequent and dry, but unusual for him. We had spent days in the week prior with the public interacting at a Master Gardener's booth ...





... and then the week before that we were with the Grands canoeing and spelunking and "cabining" in the Shenandoah valley. 










We even squeezed in one small hike.  No one was sick on the trip and some of us had lots more energy than others at the end of the day. 

Anyway, his cough did morph into a cold which put him in bed for 6 days. A mild fever on one of the days came and went pretty fast. He started to get up and about this past weekend, cough still hits him once or twice a day and he is slowly building up his stamina. I think as we age, if we spend days in bed, we weaken dramatically.

Actually, I was going to write something about aging and illnesses and after I looked at all the pictures above, I think we did darn good!  Getting ready for some hiking in Colorado next!  (I really have to pace myself...don't let the photos above fool you.)

15 comments:

  1. I hear you about our age-related need to take longer to recuperate from just about anything. Those pictures show that you did an amazing amount of wonderful activity and have every right to take it easy for awhile. Glad to hear hubby is on the mend before the next round! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you mean does age make us more susceptible to things? Possibly. But look at those pics! You gathered some wonderful memories. I know that DH and I pick up things from the grandkids all the time... but that's life. Enjoy your family and the trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are doing well. Enjoy!

    I find as I age, recovery takes longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers he feels better. That nasty cough-cold, I've heard has been rough on even younger folks. My first thought is that viruses and bacteria are more sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, as a retired MD, I can say the fever means something. Infection, viral or bacterial. The cough, dry, would lead me to pneumonia. I'd get a chest xray, and a cbc and chem profile. And a good FP doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess you should heed the doctor (comment above) just to be sure. Looks like you all had a grand time leading up to the illness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like your family is quite a bunch of adventure lovers! Sorry your hubby had to slow down. Rest can restore too! Hope he is tip top ASAP. Great pics

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did so much, so many memories, but this older one is always told "pace yourself"
    I never have until I reached 80.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my time will come to view life at a slower pace. I hope I can do it with as much dignity as you do.

      Delete
  9. It seems to me i lose strength a lot faster now. A warning not just to pace ourselves, but also not to let ourselves rust.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the illness. You do look like an active bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see the energy in some of those pictures. Days in bed seems like more than a cold. Hope all is well now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After just waiting for tests, or taking tests, or recovering from tests for the last few months, I can say with experience that I am weak as a newborn.
    How hot is it there? I see a hot wave wafting toward you. Stay cool and safe. Colorado must be cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hot...but the real trial as always is the humidity. We get a break every few days, though.

      Delete
  13. any amount of inactivity at our age settles in I think and takes longer to get back up to speed. maybe we lose a little of that speed each time.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.