Thursday, March 21, 2019

The High Wire Balancing of Hi-Tech

I will begin the post with something I stole from my son's house. I actually asked him if he or his wife used it and he said no. I asked if I could have it and he said yes. BUT it really belonged to his wife who got it as a promotional gift months earlier and she was in NYC at the time. It is a computerized coffee/teacup. You charge a battery in the bottom of the cup through the saucer, you set the temp from about 120f to 145F and your drink stays hot from the first to the last drop. It takes a bit of intelligence, acumen, tech-experience, etc. to get the App to show you what is happening on your computer...only took me under an hour! I even selected the color for charged and for heating. It pulses when heating. It works reasonably well and I like having a "hot" drink from start to finish. Would I buy one of these? Never. Too expensive. Also, there are other ways to ensure hot coffee, like a travel cup and I also feel the cup is too small.



My next techie thing was a gift I got for Christmas...a VERY expensive wireless headset. (My kids have connections and probably got a discount). I would never have bought such a high end one of these, but I do LOVE it. I can quietly listen to my digital courses, listen to my favorite podcasts, and even watch TV from my laptop without disturbing others. The sound is phenomenal...so I have to start using it for music. Since it is wireless I can go to the kitchen and make coffee while listening or if carefully holding my head, put in another load of laundry. This little device only took me three days to figure out how to connect to my laptop AND my computer in various modes. Would I have bought this for myself...now after using it for months? Yes! The sound quality and noise canceling are really good.



My old cell phone was very old. I could not upgrade any Apps and my son explained it was time for me to get a new one with much more memory. I decided it would be nice to have a phone with a better camera lens and so I got a high-end Google Pixel. They were on sale in the shop and they always set it up nicely so that you pay for it over time through your phone bill, thus naively avoiding the sticker shock. Maybe in two years, I will actually own it. I love the ease of use and extra memory. I have not downloaded many new Apps, except this morning I spent an hour trying to figure out how to connect to my DSLR through the house Wi-Fi and to the phone. I kept going through the assistance directions on my laptop, but it never seemed to let me get to the next step. I wanted to use it for remote control of the DSLR with ease like the guy on the YOUTube video showed. I did succeed in spilling the hot coffee on the tray on the cushion next to me. Thus I spent the next 15 minutes washing coffee off the couch and changing my clothes! 


I do have a remote control for my camera, and I also have a delay timer on the DSLR, but what fun it would be to see through the phone before snapping me in the group photo!  Oh well, another day.



I am surrounded by techies.  My 13-year-old grandson was impressed that I had replaced my old clunker cell phone with this new one. I was feeling a little guilty that I get praise from him by spending a small fortune on technology.  Yes, two of the grands were into technology big time when we were up there grand-child sitting.


Where she gets those legs???
And Hubby was not going to be outdone reading his book on his Kindle at the same time.


But there is still one primitive soul at the house that does his high wire act the old-fashioned way...and I was just a bit jealous.


21 comments:

  1. I like that old fashion fun!
    Was it wrong to giggle about how new technology still can lead to old problems like spilled coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be very tech savy... albeit with lots of help from the younger generation. I've been curious about wireless headsets. Have never used one, but think they might be a good idea. However, I wouldn't go for a really expensive one, but maybe you could enlighten me as to how they work, etc. - or possibly I should just ask my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All are different, make sure you try them on for comfort, as at our age that can be an issue. Most work with both Apple and Windows, so do check on that.

      Delete
  3. What a fun post! Love how you weaved that (hot) coffee through it all. I guess you could say I have techie hearing aides. I control them through my iPhone and can hear my phone through them. Technology for old people?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these things I would want! Not too shabby- n you only live once.

    I did buy a newer than 2010 phone, but have yet to activate it, as the old is paid until April, it would cancel. And cost more. Plus the new one will still be an old version. Now that I can hardly read I hate new tech learning.... I guess it keeps the thinking gears oiled at least.
    Those kids are always locked head-down on devices. At least they can focus! And actually scale walls...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Tha child should work with Cirque du soleil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what fun it was to climb, but we always used the door frame. My kids did it, too.

    That coffee cup might be worth it, if it held a full 8 ounces. Then again, there's always the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good gosh! He is going to be a mountain climber for sure. I know how you feel about technology. I just can’t keep up with it.... or understand it fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post. Its hard keeping up with technology but you seem to be doing fine. But you can't beat old fashioned physical fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my Bose wireless headphones. They are so nice to use when I'm watching a movie on my iPad and bothering nobody else, or when I am visiting with my sister on FaceTime. The sound quality is so good that it makes it feel funny when I don't use them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That coffee mug is something to desire, though I hope it would not 'cook' the coffee. Technology belongs to our children and grandchildren. Always remember my son's room when he was about 12 years old. Words starting to drop off the screen as a virus hit the computer, the time it went up in flames. Whenever I hit a snag, it was 'stay calm' don't panic, just put your finger on the off button for 20 seconds' and it will go away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That grandson is a keeper if you make him wash the walls and ceiling. LOL
    Yes, I too have a new Samsung. My ability hahs only progressed to texting tho. Can I remember the number tho. Frankly, I am very proud of you. Now what is DSLR please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Digital Single Lens Reflex....camera.

      Delete
  12. I am so not into techie stuff and avoid changes in that area as long as I can. I learn only what I must to get what I need but I am far less into that world than many. I have FB but don't use Instagram. Once in a while I post something on Twitter but it's all innocuous stuff. My grandkids know a lot more about it all than I do and did from early on

    ReplyDelete
  13. Because I insist on having only Apple nobody around here can teach me, so I do what I can and leave the rest. Should I ever need to upgrade or learn how to use fancier doodads I may have to get me to the shop.
    Your climber is great, he is doing things under his own steam. There’s no app to help with it, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I am jealous of that climb, too. Oh, to be that agile and strong again. I plow away at the technology. When I got my Kindle I though I'd died and gone to heaven. To have a book in front of me that fast. My latest tech achievement is connecting to my library. I can get audio books to listen to in the car and other books on my Kindle. I do prefer the paper page, but even though I sometimes have to wait for the latest titles, I am saving all that money at the bookstore. Kudos to you for figuring out all that stuff out. Now, back to figuring taxes. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The clarity of sound that I get via bluetooth in my hearing aids really helps. The level can seem similar to over-the-air but I can hear more clearly. I don't know what camera you have, but I can connect my camera to my phone via Canon Connect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. +I had a range of beautiful cups. I have several small heating pads I used with them for years. Now I use my very big Thermos traveling cup. It keeps my coffee hot to warm to hot all morning.
    Yes, Midlife has it...young and strong. Envy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm fairly tech savvy but a lot of it I just have no use for. I would like to get some good headphones to listen to TV the few times I actually watch a program. I've heard that it helps people like me who can hear the sound but have a hard time understanding what they are saying no matter how loud the volume.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed reading about your tech toys. Wow! What a climber. Tech intrigues me but I resent having to spend so much time with changes happening much too frequently before I’m ready. Also, that results in being expensive trying to keep up. Guess the rapid change meets some needs. Seems to be no way anyone can establish a consistent secure private system for anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.