Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Spring Cleaning Downton Abbey Style


I have finally made it up to the top shelves and the deep, dark and dusty shelves of my kitchen.  After throwing out plastic plates and some containers, I found the wooden box that I had known was there but forgotten about. I had used the contents a half dozen times in my mid-married years and then got very busy and put it up and away.



I had forgotten how heavy it was and it was a bit of a balance as I climbed down my small kitchen stairs to put it on the counter. Many of you already know what is inside.



It was a second marriage for both mother-in-law and my father-in-law. They were young and up and coming in Detroit. This was a wedding gift maybe or being as my father-in-law was a blustery man who liked to impress, perhaps he bought it for his wife one anniversary?



It is a very large set of silverplate/silverware? by Kirk which was a famous manufacturer. I think my mother-in-law said it was silver plate, but it looks like silver to me. "Founded in 1815, in 1970, Samuel Kirk’s company was “America’s Oldest Silversmiths."   “America’s Oldest Silversmith” was acquired in 1979 by The Stieff Company and was renamed The Kirk Stieff Company. Operations at the old Kirk Avenue factory were quickly moved into the more modern Stieff factory in the Hamden section of Baltimore."  There is even a cool book on the Internet that I may print out.

I see the larger set of silverware selling on E-Bay for between $1,500 and $2,000 dollars and this set is huge with even more in storage beneath. I called my daughter and told her it was hers to inherit because I will never spend the needed time cleaning silver or having enough formal parties to justify such use. It seems such a shame to just let it sit in a brown box for more decades. She wanted it and I hope she uses it. She entertains far more than I.  Sending it to a more appreciative home.  Some of the flatware even has grandma's initials.










16 comments:

  1. I haven't figured out how to get thaat table yet. :) And if I could see one whole piece of the silverware, I think I even know the name of the pattern. Read the back of the piece to see if it is Sterling or plate.
    Did I tell you what I did with my mother's stuff....and several grandmother's silver. Mother had it in a large, heavy Chinese chest. I took it up and lent it along with the dining room table and gold dishes to my friend Bobbie. She uses mother's pattern every day. I gave my own Kirk silver to Milaka, and I gave Margot a couple of sets of plate. We were truly overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sterling and I reposted with the handle above. I looked at a number of designs online and could not find one close. It is one of the older designs--very intricate and solid.

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! All of mine is sterling plated but it usually tells it right on the piece. It is lovely! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked using silver in the days when I entertained. I inherited two sets of silverware plus an aunt's silver set for tray and tea service. That I'd never use. My daughter doesn't entertain that way either. It's pretty but it is work to keep it up. I gave her one of the silverware sets and kept one for now. I also gave her the tea service but don't think she'll use it. It was part of a generation, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I can’t get too excited about silverware or dinnerware for the matter, I hope it gets well used and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely pattern. I have my Mom and Dad's sterling silver set that was their wedding gift. I used to use it all the time until I had grandkids who spend a lot of time with me and I got a stainless steel flatware set. I used to have 8-10 people dinners, long ago but now I'm out of that and my son and his wife do that. In fact I am "storing" the silverware at their house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely you passed it on to your daughter. I have my MIL’s set. My daughter won’t want it though. I will give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really glad that your daughter wants it and will use it. My daughter has her grandmother's set. My set of wedding silver plate is now 50 years old! I use it several times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful your daughter wants it. So much china and silver these days is ending up at thrift stores that they don't want it, either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll confess that when we moved I found some old sterling silver bowls and pitchers that had been stuffed into boxes for a few decades. I didn't know what they were (no initials or inscriptions) and surely didn't want them and so I was able to sell them to an antique store. They told me, honestly, they would probably just be melted down for the silver, which I guess was a shame, but what are you gonna do? They gave me the value of the silver, which wasn't bad ... $70 or so for each piece. But far better if you have a child who wants the old things and will actually use them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother had silver like that which she treasured. And then it was stolen in a home burglary and she was devastated. Heavy and beautiful but gone in just about the worst way. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful stuff. We have some silverware from my first wedding and a few odd pieces from my grandmother and we just use it for everyday because we don't entertain and why have it if you aren't going to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sterling and silverplate do not seem to fit into today's lifestyle. My daughter took some of the large silverplate entertainment pieces, but most were put in donation boxes. The younger generation doesn't want to bother with polishing silver... and to be honest, unless you're part of the rich and famous, there's no need for it anymore. We live in a more casual society (or at least we do these days). But I have to admit, some of the pieces are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My box, bought by me after marriage since no big wedding, loved using it. My daughters not interested in poiishing and I use to love doing it. I may just start using every day. Thanks for the reminder. Yes, so much we have our children and now my grandchildren
    are not interested in. Oh how I use to love setting a beautiful table - a memory

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess there is sentimental value attached to real silver utensils and serving pieces, but without a staff to care for it -- well, just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had silverplate in Illinois that we ended up selling at a house sale since we never used it. They were so pretty though.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.