Sunday, March 10, 2019

Harbinger

The first "harbingers" of spring are the rewards for the work you do in November and December, and this work is drying bulbs, dusting off their dirt and cutting away all the dead stuff, wrapping them in the newspaper, and storing them in the dark basement; and when you cannot stand another long dark winter day, bringing them up and partially burying them in fresh potting soil in freshly cleaned pots that are soaked in hot water.  The bulbs wake up with an extreme urge to find the light, flash their brief beauty to live again another year...much like us.



I was sitting on the floor in my kitchen enjoying the peace of a very quiet morning. Hubby has been gone on a reunion-type trip for four days, my house heating system has been broken for the same four days (which makes it even quieter than normal), and there is all the rest of the stuff going on in my life that I will avoid burdening you about.  I needed the resilience of seeing the rare sunrise through my "harbingers" of spring's showy skirts against the kitchen window from a new low angle with camera in hand.  Amaryllis dance the samba, so who can ignore the joy in that?



The wooden floor in the kitchen is colder than usual and my nose is a bit colder than usual, and soon I need to move my old joints and collect the wood from the rack on the front porch and get a warming fire going.  We have lots of wood because my forest is dying and hubby made sure he split a lot before he left.  The trees are tall and should live longer, but they cannot fight the dramatic shifts in climate that did not challenge their ancestors.  I have at least six species of woodpeckers moving in with their hammering and shredding, very content about all of this.

The weatherman has promised 60-degree weather in the days ahead, which also will probably mean the repairmen will arrive much more promptly since I need them less now.  No one stocks parts, parts are held in warehouses in other states, and repairmen give you 5-hour windows and show up at the exact time the window closes to do their work.  Only us retired folks can deal with this.

Each evening I have snuggled down in the heavy quilt at night as a blanket of 27-degree air hung around the windows begging to get in.  Each morning, once the chill is off with a warming fire, I can do chores and blogging and cooking and forget I am not a pioneer woman.


Shot with hand-held telephoto...guess it is not that cold.

19 comments:

  1. I sleep in a cold room under a down quilt, and it sure feels good, until I have to get up. Then I turn on the heat and it takes awhile for it to warm up. Hope you get that blast of nice warm air soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it’s rather cool here in Hawaii, I’m sure it’s a whole lot warmer than where you are. The amaryllis looks spectacular. I loved growing them too when we lived in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping your dancing flowers are warming your heart as you deal with your lack of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers are gorgeous, i don't blame you for needing to see them under the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My question will demonstrate that I'm not a gardener: must bulbs always be dug up and stored during the winter or can they stay in the ground all year round? Here in Florida the temperature gets down to freezing for at least a few days during the winter, but we don't have snow.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all bulbs need to be dug up. Some need good freeing weather like daffocils and tulips, but the amaryillus is a tropical plat and needs to be sheltered in colder climates.

      Delete
  6. You have three very fine photos to show off the flowers. The first one really rocks as the younger generation might say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!
    Hope all worked out from last week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your heating system is repaired soon, Tabor. Those repairmen keep us at their mercy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that last shot is gorgeous, well, they all are. all my amaryllis are in the ground and it will be a while yet before their blooms emerge. winter is over here but I haven't given up my quilt yet as I love sleeping under the heaviness of it. I'll have to give it up soon even with the fan on high.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What absolutely wonderful amaryllis. I didn’t get any this year and now regret that. They make such a heartwarming early year spectacle and surely help with the cool house.
    I hope your heating will come on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's hoping your furnace is fixed soon! Oh how lovely those blooms are! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, isn't that last one dramatically wonderful. They all are actually, and your words make me worry less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking your advice and seeing the grand black noir humor in it all.

      Delete
  13. You see and share such beauty! I tend to chop off important parts when taking photos so I mostly stick to words, but you inspire me to be more careful when looking through the lens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely flowers. I look forward to spring even down here. We've had more rain than I ever remember with some good storms last night. If Tucson was in drought, like other places in Arizona, it can't be now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Lovely photos. I like the progression of your story of your day/night. True about the woodpeckers...one dead tree is a delight for them! We have a lot of American beech trees and unfortunately a new disease is killing them; and it isn't caused by any environmental reasons so they are exploring other causes such as parasite, fungal, viral, etc. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. So gorgeous! And your painting fun too!

    Personally I believe trees can no longer grow how they did 100 to 300 years ago, with good nutrients, clean water and no pollution. Seems all the older, taller ones are down in recent years storms. I keep searching my area for the wider, older, taller trees. They are hard to find now. At my old place, and the woods across, they are all gone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice photos. We're seeing our daffodils starting to peek up thru the mud ... another harbinger. And btw, good vibes to you.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.