Friday, January 04, 2019

Contradictions and Contrasts


I do love to curl up on gray-pending-rain days, the kind of days that good authors use for great prose inspiration, the kind of days that make parents go insane, the kind of days that keep the bars full, and binge watch a few episodes of some dark and somber British/Irish/Scottish drama of the lonely, alcoholic, detective running from dark secrets, a detective who is deeply sensitive and takes every victim of his (usually a "his "but could be a "hers") to heart with deep passion. Hubby, who is a bit of Irish finds these dramas way too depressing for binge-watching, although he can become intrigued by an episode or two.😘

I am not a somber depressing person by nature. At least I do not think so, and no one has told me that I am too gloomy. I am usually considered mildly bubbly and friendly while not necessarily outgoing. So what is it about these dramas that grasps me? I am guessing it is the disturbed hero that I want to be saved from his loneliness in the end, by a joyful young person who re-enters his life or a passionate lover who needs him. I also like the puzzle of solving the crime(s). I am not attracted to the many sexual persecutions of helpless women plots, but if they are peripheral to the story, I will continue to watch a nice bloody murder.  When I feel I need something warmer I will watch something like Midsomer Murders, which requires very little investment on my part.



On very rare evenings I will watch the Hallmark channel with its syrupy characters, cliched and formulaic, but I watched due to a need to see nice interior designs or fantasy holiday decorations or just something you can chew gum and easily watch while fixing dinner.


In the early mornings (with my new Christmas gift of a very expensive wireless headphone set) I listen to the BBC In Our Times from my laptop.  I work my way through the years of titles in alphabetic order....now up to the Fs.  Sometimes I just pick arbitrarily.  This morning I listened to a talk from three astrophysicists on the Kuiper Belt.  The discussion left with a tease of perhaps a huge planet just beyond our visibility that may be very powerful.  I guess that makes me a bit of an intellectual...although these days that is considered a bad thing.

As the morning progresses, I also am finishing listening to the audible version of Born A Crime read in Trevor Noah's own voice and wondering how he got to be so smart and compassionate considering his problematic upbringing.  

I did just finish reading The Tenth Island by Diana Marcum and while it made me want to go spend a month or so in the Azores, not sure I enjoyed it all that much.

All of this keeps me distracted from the torture circus in the news.

So just how are you keeping yourself entertained in our Northern Hemisphere quiet months?

14 comments:

  1. I'm still plowing through the Outlander series books, now on 6 of 8. TV doesn't interest me much as it requires sitting for long periods and I don't do that easily. unless I'm on an airplane and have no choice. so I read or work on my art projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:12 PM

      Oh! My comment didn't make it so I have to re-create it. I watched the entire dvd series of "The Office" while cooking in the kitchen before Christmas, for the 4th time. Then I became interested in "The Last Alaskans". Now I want to stop cooking and I figure I will not turn on the t.v. much. Since I've had to use bifocals, I've lost interest in reading...I just hate putting something on my face. Pet peeve I'm sure. Andrea

      Delete
  2. We did discover NEW Midsomer Mysteries last night, Ok if not wildly entertaining. I just started Michelle Obama's book, "Becoming". Good so far. Some of our usual TV programming will return soon. Our NFL team is in the playoffs, at least this weekend. Family birthdays are popping up. Rachael Maddow entertains with the absurdity of the news from the other Washington. Yeah, that's some of what's entertaining us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work. And friends. Reading as much as i can find the time for. That's the usual.

    messymimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Torture Circus" sums up the current news perfectly.
    There is a notice that in the government shut down...where are the stories about the troubles of those suffering? Where are protestors for the children of families without paychecks?
    Check out the Swedish crime drama, "Beck," with Peter Haber. I don't like to play favorites, as the entire cast is great, but Mikael Persbrandt makes smile support easier to manage. Gunvald!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have decided to re-watch Morse -- again! And for the first time, I borrowed a Morse book from the library. I was going to dl some of the series on Kindle, but I wanted to see if I'd like them first. Our town library only has a few titles, so I'll read them (maybe) and then get more on Kindle (maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watch news when I can stand it, but will be seeing a lot less in the coming months as constant angst and anger wears me out fast. I like documentaries on Prime or Netflix, once in a while on cable. I watched Ellen Degeneres with her stand up routine and enjoyed it a lot because she stuck to cultural and personal issues. I laughed but my husband didn't-- not sure why the difference. I can't stand a comedian who uses politics on either side. I like to laugh, not get mad. I do watch the Hallmark movies Saturday and Sunday nights. The plots are predictable and the elements often laughable when they don't really get farm life or even work related issues, but they end happily and have family that makes me feel good. Like you said, I enjoy their settings often-- even if they aren't remotely filmed where they claim. I don't watch anything with violence or suspense in terms of fiction. The newspaper does enough of that for me. I tried to get into Outlander because I have the books-- all but the last one. The thing was the film's violence turned me off. I'd watch a mystery but not one where the protagonist is constantly threatened. I think I am too high-strung for that kind of thing. Nervousness? Need more? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watch those mystery shows for the scenery. I recently watched Shetland and determined to go there someday. Right now I am watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I am enjoying it and love the sets and the costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading and Netflix punctuate work around the house these days. Yuck for the house part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am recently hooked on reading memoirs. Just finished "Becoming" and enjoyed it thorough, didn't want it to end. And I just finished Liane Moriarty's latest book, "Nine Perfect Strangers," and enjoyed that, too. On TV, I most enjoy old Star Trek reruns and watch MSNBC now and then. I get tired of the commercials and move over to PBS. Oh, and I really enjoyed the Christmas special for "Call the Midwife." Made me cry happy tears. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rediscovered joseph Hansen by finding one of his old books at work. He writes of a gay world in the 1970's with a background of murder. Simply wonderful. You might really enjoy him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK...bought his very first title on Kindle. I will see.

      Delete
  11. Reading mysteries, watching football (as long as the Eagles are in it); and we just started watching "Sneaky Pete" ... and planning our annual winter trip to the South.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not an issue here in So Cal, but do confine myself more in the summer when the temps soar upward.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.