Friday, April 20, 2018

One Word Summary?


The last few days, if you follow our President,  you will have heard news about about peeing, prostitutes in an industry in which Russia seems to have the most beautiful if you listen to misogynist pigs such as Putin, and almost everything else being fake news  and witch hunts (notice how everything bad is either dark or female?). But, if you follow the real news you will learn a First Lady has died. She did not get enough credit when alive, and while I disagreed with her politics, she was an honest and strong person and loyal to family. She lost a small child when she was young, was a military wife with all of the sacrifices that entailed, took on the thankless role of First Lady, listened to others say awful things about her sons who ran for office, and while a white privileged mother, still paid her dues.  I have heard several times in the news that she was known as the "Enforcer."


This got me thinking about my life.  What if I died this year?  Would there be one word that came to the mind of those that knew me?  I was hoping it would be "loyal",  but it could be "loudmouthed,"  or "uncommunicative" or "over-organized"  or "opinionated" or possibly "emotional." 

What would be the word that you think you should be remembered by and is that the same word that others would use?

18 comments:

  1. I think any of sincere, honest, loyal or even humble might to. But that's my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My adult children informed me that I was too "controlling". That was when they were younger, of course. I have currently lost control of them, but they are doing alright on their own, so maybe my "control" wasn't such a bad thing. My co-workers in education thought I was "intimidating" because of my skill and my demand for excellence in myself. But they also asked, years after I left, when facing a difficult decision, "What would Linda Reeder do?". They told me this later. I guess my legacy lived on for a few years.
    Now I hope I come across as a caring friend, but the one word that means the most to me still is "intelligent".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will be remembered as somesone with a good sense of humor and a person who cared intensely, sometimes to the annoyance of others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sons told me, now that they are in their 40's, that they still think I'm a "cool" mom. Not sure what that means but I think I will leave it at that since they turned out to be good people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope people would say caring but it could be controlling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janitor. No matter what the situation, i tried to clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good question. I suspect it might be "ebullient" or "cheerful." But then again, it might be "bossy." And I dlo think Barbara Bush was a fine role model for women of her generation. Today, though, someone like Michelle Obama is more my type of role model. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words I have heard used about me lately are "quiet," "funny," (I hope as in sense of humor), "impulsive," "headstrong." and "caring." I think I would want to be remembered as 'kind."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wondeer what a "quiet" and "headstrong" person is like. ;-)

      Delete
  9. On a word for me, I think it'd have changed with the years, no idea what it'd be now.

    Some of the media gets off on talking about salacious stuff. I try to avoid them as they claim it's about news but it's really about catering to our lowest instincts. Reading is better than listening these days-- to either side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great entry. Thank you.
    I would think of you as caring. Those who know me the longest would call me a colorist or activist. Now, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Subtext, I do not care?

      Delete
    2. ...about what?

      Delete
    3. Wondering if Ellen says she does not care what folks would call her?

      Delete
    4. Needless to say that recently found something my youngest daughter wrote about me and it brought tears to my eyes.
      My mother is extraordinarily independent woman who now has physical limitations but a sharp mind. In the business world for years
      and in last years pursued her love of nature, gardening, reading, using camera, writing, early to bed and early to
      rise describes her well.

      Delete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.