Monday, March 19, 2018

Miscellania, or Whatevah

When I went to check the spelling in the above title I found out that Miscellania is a small island in some digital game. I think it would be a perfect name for a real island, and if I ever buy one, I will change its name to Miscellania.

Below are the last (I hope) of photos that I have selected related to the cruise. They are just for fun or question or pause.



We were photographed ourselves almost as much as we took photographs of others.


Every single port we anchored, there were armed military.


Cargill in Manaus port. "Cargill, Incorporated is an American privately held global corporation based in Minnetonka, Minnesota, and incorporated in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 1865, it is the largest privately held corporation in the United States in terms of revenue."


I have no idea what this crewman is doing. Those of you who know ships can perhaps enlighten me. This happened after we had docked.


This is how the locals go up and down the river. Supplies and shopping and shipping are on the bottom deck. Food and socializing and hammocks for sleeping above that. These journeys can take several days depending on the stops. Very different than how we traveled!

11 comments:

  1. Such an interesting place to visit, off the beaten track. For now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps the crewman was running up the cocktail flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure the elders on our cruise would even wait for that.

      Delete
  3. Cargill has something to do with food production? I think I would rather see something that looked like a farm when considering where food comes from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food production is big industry and not family farmers, unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you had an amazing adventure and saw some of the day to day of how others live. That's a hard thing to get unless you travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesing photos. Maybe the sailor is there to check some ritual ships do, pirate deterent, flag guard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More photos please for those of us who will never go there. Perhaps an album on Facebook?

    Black ball: It is a day time signalling shape used to determine the characteristics of vessel with different arrangement of ball shapes. For e.g. a vessel at anchor will show a blackball at foremost end of the forecastle.

    Lots more please. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are sure fun, and I'm with the others who say, "more, please." And I found out about the meaning of that black ball! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the ports are interesting, a small snapshot of what really happens around the world. I always remember the sight of a very large cruise ship in the small ports of the Scottish Islands. They bring with them tourists to buy local goods but are at best only a temporary solution to a long term economic necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am surprised it isin't in worse shape from Hurricane Maria!


    บาคาร่าออนไลน์
    Gclub

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.