Saturday, January 06, 2018

That Extra Layer for Warmth


The ice cold weather is here to stay through the beginning of next week. We have not had such an extensive and harsh freeze for a number of years, so we are trying to adjust. I do not go outside except to grab a quick photo from the dock, or to fill the bird feeders. We check the mail every other day and sometimes even every third day. The roads are not dangerous, but any time spent outdoors is.



Yesterday the brutal winds returned and I am sure they reached peaks of thirty miles per hour. At least the clouds let the sun throw nice shadows. Of course, a cloudless sky means bitter nights. My heater kicks on often and I worry about its age and the amount of fuel left in our tank outside.

So we sit around the wood fireplace and hibernate like two old bears.  I clean out the leftovers in the refrigerator and make hearty soups and stir-fry meals in the old wok.




I spend afternoons baking as we crave the carbs.


I actually have time to scour the Internet and old cookbooks for challenging recipes, because I am not going anywhere and thus not rushing home.


AND of course, I have to exercise  more regularly, because even though these calories keep me warm, they also keep me fat!

14 comments:

  1. Those dishes look delish, Tabor. And that last picture, if I didn't know better, it looks bright and sunny. And warm. We are on the West Coast are basking in unusual warmth, but rain and fog to go along with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have found a good activity. It makes me wistful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cold weather just makes me immobile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m hibernating too. It’s -32 C with the windchill today! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad we can't be like bears, eating to fatten up, then hibernating inactively while the fat all melts away. I guess the trick is to stop eating and just sleep. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a stew in the slow cooker as I read this. And an apple pie in the freezer. I have to get things cleaned out of the fridge before I travel to Florida. I hope I will be able to travel anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I so wish you were here to go through these many boxes of old cook books with me. Now...what is the kielbasa and noodle dish please. Have you tried the Russian Cream Cheese and noodles. (Equal parts cream cheese and butter. Stir til smooth. Pour over noodles and get fatter.) What is the big cook book at the end of the table?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like you! ��

    ReplyDelete
  9. My life now too. Too much yummy cooking, high calorie foods, too little exercise. But I'm warm and comfy! And can't wait till spring...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s times like this i wish we humans could hibernate. Imagine being able to sleep for three months straight and losing about 1/3 of your body weight while doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baking is crowding my thoughts more and more. Your photos confirm for me, its time for a nice coffee cake today. :)
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. where I am staying is beautiful, but food like cafeteria food and oh how I miss my baking and many old recipes..
    But at the moment in a safe place and nice and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always the Yin and Yang of it. Can your daughter bring you favorite foods from restaurants in town?

      Delete
  13. Anonymous1:51 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.